Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

camping in a blazer/gear/mods

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big d, Dec 7, 2001.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

anybody camped in a blazer? and if so what mods did you do, what creature comforts did you bring along?obviously the rear seat had to be removed for sack time. im interested in any trick ideas anyone has. i purchased an add on topper extendeder that forms a tent type area that boxes in the tailgate area. no where did it say (on the box or in the mail order ad) that the topper had to have a pop up lid or rear window ( like an s10 blazer) to support the top of the cover, so now i have to custom fab something out of aluminum tube. there is lots of new goddies out there for people who have the $. but im more interested in peoples innovative home brewed ideas. thanks.
    darren olander
    1979 chevy cheyenne blazer
    350/350
    gettin' down on all fours 4 a'little
    x
    4 play !

2. We just sleep on the ground, the only time I sleep in the truck is when the wife is mad at me.

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I fold the rear seat forward, and throw a trap over the backend with the tailgate down. I have a rack on the top of my truck that I attach the tarp to, and then use bungy cords to attach it to the side of the truck. I went threw a rain storm in there with no prob. One of the corners of my sleeping bag got wet, but not much. Oh ya. I'm 6'4" so don't anyone say you can't fit. I also have my spare inside too.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I forgot. As for gear I use the normal stuff. Table, stove, lantern, chairs, etc. But the one thing I really like is this crank powered radio my dad has. It is sweet. You don't have to worry about wasting your batt. in your truck by using your stereo. Me and my buddy did that one time. We were drinkin losts of road pops if you know what I mean. (I'm 18) Coke, Dr. Pepper, etc. We left the stereo on for a couple of hours and forgot about it. Next mornin the truck wouldn't start. It was a Ford so it wouldn't have started anyway, but I had to jump him with the K5. Long story short. The crank radio kicks _ss.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Darren, I used to camp quite often in my '77 K5. At 6'3", it was a bit cramped until I did this:

Removed the rear seat altogether. Put 2 2x6's on edge right down the center of the rear floor, around the edge of the floor and also across the front and a couple of feet behind the front. Then I laid down plywood on top of the 2x6's. (The 2x6's slightly behind the front seats let me have storage space that was accessible from the front seat. I just cut and hinged the plywood so I could reach back and open the floor). [​IMG] Then I carpeted all the plywood.

For sleeping, I used a 4x6 foot piece of 3-inch thick mattress foam. Then I discovered that if I tilted the passenger seat forward, and placed a Coleman 48 quart cooler in that space, that it was just the right height to put a pillow on and be VERY comfortably stretched out across the mattress and floor. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

6. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I saw a guy that had bolted angle iron to the side walls of the Blazer. Then he had cut 4 pieces of plywood and put a piano hindge on 2 of them to keep them together. All of his gear was in containers that did not protrude higher than his side walls. So at night all he did was place the wood across the top of all his gear and it rested on the angle iron. He had the height of his top (between the wood and the roof) to move around which seemed to be enough. Kinda liked that idea, except that I don't know how it would work for you guys with roll bars.

I usually setup an air mattress that fits perfectly between the wheel wells. Of course I have to remove all of my gear and then put it back in the morning but it sure is comfy.

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

7. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Been campin' in a K5 for years with the rear seat out.......got a 4" foam pad I put in for a mattress.....there's plenty of room for a 48 qt cooler behind the pass seat, and I fill the rest of the footwell up with junk I need.......I have a tarp I put over the top and snug with bungees to the rear fender well, and I use extend-o-poles I bought at Wally World to support the "flap end" to make a covered "porch" of sorts using tent guy ropes....at night, I simply drop the fly, and keep it from blowing by putting heavy gear on top of the part I fold under the tailgate (which is dropped in summer, or up in cooler times).....I use a clothes pole across hangers so I can hang a small fan and a light......with the side windows open, I can get a good breeze for those summer nights that way.....very comfy for two friendly people with the spare out.....one time I actually had 8 people spend the night during a rainstorm (took a while to figger out the boy/girl/boy/girl arrangement)......I live in my K5 for Days when I travel to Nascar tracks....I love it.....JD

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

8. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

If you remove the rear seat a double sized air mattress fits in there perfectly. You can still have a cooler etc behind the passenger seat area. We just shove pillows there. It is actually very comfy and warm in there with the air mattress.

9. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Hmm for camping I just put the pop up on and go.
    I used it all last summer and it worked out pretty good with moderate wheelin.
    My summer project is to tear out the old paneling and redo the interior. New cabinets and a 2 way fridge instead of an ice box.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I just pull my handy dandy Reaper custom Camper/utility trailer. Get the spare twin matress out of the kids room. 5ft high inside. Still building it out but It will have it's own battery to run a dome light and a cheap 12v electric fan. It's built on a 5x8 utility trailer with a 24 icn wall extension and then a full size long bed pickup truck shell on top. I have a roof rack bar on the back that has extension I made for a 11x11 foot canopee to attach to. The windows have screens. I'm looking for a small window A/C to mount on it for the few times a year I camp where 110v is available. The matress sits on a removable pedistal. Still working on it. I'll get some pics up when it's done. Most of the camping I do we have an easily accessible camp area. For the times when it's not accessible I bring a tent and a air matress.
    I use to camp in the K5's. Wasn't to bad in the 79 with the seat folded but I don't wheel that one anymore. The 75 is toppless in the summer and has a storage box bolted to the floor in the back. The front seats fully recline and I have slept in them when I did some winter camping but not the most comfortable thing. Thats why I built the trailer.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

11. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

If you alrady have that cab extender tent dealy for the tailgate area...you can custom make any kind of support tubing you need from electrical house conduit with a cheap hand bender. Should be REALLY inexpensive.

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive