Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Camping in the Blazer??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by baldamish, Jul 24, 2005.

1. baldamish

baldamish 1/2 ton status

I was hoping a few of you could drop some tips or tricks for camping comfortably in a blazer. I read the post a few weeks ago where somebody was using a matress from a futon, great idea, i'm gonna use the matress out of a hideaway bed. But any other tips would be greatly appreciated, i'm used to camping in a tent (which i hate!!) and plan on going w/in the next few weeks and will probably put the top back on the '75 for some comfort. I had thought about "rigging" up a tarp over it and having a bit of an awning on the back...but that seems like alot of trouble....thanks in advance!!!

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I camp in mine and it works out pretty good, I have a soft top so theres your tent basically...Heres the breakdown, step 1. remove back seat step 2. drink whiskey, step 3.passout in Blazer... :wink1:

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

If it was warm, I would put the back seat up, leave tailgate down and I was set. If it was crapass cold, I would leave the seat down, put the two front seats down and run the truck for a few minutes with the heater, let it warm up, then kill the engine. By the way, I was using two 3" inch slabs of foam.

4. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Yah, i'd say ditch the back seat. I've slept on teh back seat in my 94 blazer...and its not comfortable. I can lay mine down, but i always have too much junk in the back to make it worthwhile.

I want to get a burb for this exact reason....just lay down the middle seat, and put a mattress in :)

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Yeah, before me and my wife had our kids, we used to go everywhere in the blazer man, camping, etc. Actually, we used to just use a air matress , with the backseat folded down, i dont remember ever being comphy lol, i do remember not having enough room though, i guess if you removed the back seat completly it might be ok, just lay down an air matress. It was the same air matress used to float around lake tahoe in, lol :D :D

6. mudnmyvayne

mudnmyvayne 1/2 ton status

:haha: this was all I had to say :haha:

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

LOL :haha: i just remember feet in my face, being cramped up, like a little cripple, a spare tire on my back, and a stiff neck the next morning. :haha:

8. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

We cheat. We tow a travel trailer. Course we do have the kids so I don't think sleepin in the back of Wimpy would really be an option. :crazy:

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah get a suburban!!!! lol :haha::haha::haha:

no really they are way better

10. baldamish

baldamish 1/2 ton status

The back seat is long gone (i think it saw it's day before the 80's) so room won't be a problem. An air matress isn't so much an option because my dog ends up poppping it half way through the first night (3 years ago on a rocky camp site taught me that :mad: ). It's been a few years since I've been able to go civilian camping(due to obligations with Uncle Sam). Like I said, I've got a few weeks yet, but i'm trying to get my list and a plan together because I hate getting there and finding out I completely forgot something I'll need!! Plus, I've not had the blazer to sleep in the past so I'd like to make that part of my stay as comfortable as possible, a brother needs his beauty rest!! :pimp:

11. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

A full size air matress in the burb nice and comphy :D :burb:

reason 1743 of why a burb is better than a blazer :ignore:

12. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I am working on this myself...most of the campsites at altitude are $15 a night. I think I'm just goin pull the back seat and throw a thermarest down. Shouldn't be too bad.

13. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

are u looking for a comfy sleep suggestions or camping ideas in general?

i have used my tent poles and zip ties for a dew cover and slept in the back. worked well if there is not much wind and not to cold. if it is cold fill some waterbladders(franzia wine boxes have good one) with hot water and put in sleeping bag. i use a colman queen air matress and my dog is huge. never had a problem. (cat did one in though)

i have tons of other ideas been camping since before i remeber and in remote places with little of nothing.

14. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have storage boxes built in the footwell of the back seat to make the bed level and with the rear seat removed I have a closed cell foam matress covered in naugahyde that fits perfectly between the wheel wells. I also use it in my tent when we go camping it is the perfect size for two adults. And I am not a small person 6'2" and 240.

15. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

i just use a backpacking mattress and a bivy sack over my sleeping bag for when my shell isnt on and if im going to be sleeping in the blazer i take the back seat out or else i cant fit, works good for me.

16. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I sleep in the back of my K5 quite a bit
    Mine has no back seat and two surplus rocket boxes behind the seats to level it out. I lifted up the carpet in the back and put in a nice thick pad under it.
    Its very comfy. I mostly sleep in it during hunting season. Its great not having to deal with pitiching a tent. Its warm and water/snow proof too. Dont have to sleep in the big tent in hunting camp and listen to every one snore all night. :thumb:

17. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

i will try it out as soon as i get my M1009 :D :waytogo:

18. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

In the 1st Gens the rear floor is completely level all the way from the tailgate to the back of the front seats.

I've used the "Futon Trick" and it works great.

I'm not very tall, so I can sleep comfortably even with the tailgate up. Helps keep Hollister's wild pigs out too!!! :laugh:

19. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

I just pull out my Cabala's cot and sleep outside. It's fine with a good bag down to about 30 degrees.

I think I've camped in colder weather, and before I had a good sleeping bag it was terrible.

Spend the money.

20. baldamish

baldamish 1/2 ton status

I appreciate the words of advise, Roz, i'm looking for any and all advise regarding camping and also camping in the blazer!! The ideas sound great. Actually on the 75 blazer, the floor is level to right behind the seats as well, so that makes it a bit easier!!