Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Camping question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by patches85, May 30, 2005.

1. patches85

patches85 Registered Member

Anyone ever use gasoline in a coleman lantern? I did this weekend and it works. What problems could this cause?

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I would think it would be better, cheaper. :) Hey, if it works why not? There may be safety issues, lol , but i guess a person would just need to be careful. :)

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Could you maybe go through mantles faster?

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

potential bomb...!!

I know 2 brothers who had a gas lantern in a tent when they were about 12 years old...it fell down and it spilled a bunch of gas on them,it flared up,burned like a road flare,and the tent(nylon) melted within seconds-- and they got badly burned,nearly killed them--they had to have skin grafts,and their faces were hideous,they spent 6 months in the ICU and rehab.....I think a propane lantern is bad enough--how they used gasoline lanterns,stoves,and blowtorches in the old days without more injuries and fatalities is beyond me...I would not use one unless it was an absolute emergency....too dangerous.. :crazy:

5. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

The only thing I can think of is that the regular gas may clog up the jets after a while since I think the white gas is a little more refined. I think those lanterns are grat for camping. They give off so much light. Wouldn't use one in a tent or camper though.

6. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

I think the big thing is the safety about the gas and how flamable it is compared to others that are slower to ignite. If i had to i would but not make it a practice. Alot of different flamables will work it just depends on the amount of air/fuel and how good or not the emmisions from the flame are for you.
    Not to get off subject but alot of you that use a torch at home could use propane for the gas grill instead of actalene just takes a tad longer to heat up before starting to cut. Just a thought that i do so one less bottle around the yard.

7. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't know about using gas in just any lantern, but I know Coleman used to sell some camping appliances that could use white gas or unleaded gas.