Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cams for TBI?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Feb 11, 2001.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I was reading the Q&A's in Petersen's 4WOR and saw that some guy was trying to figure out why his TBI wasn't putting out the power it should. Well, this brought a whole new world to me. What types of cams can I run in a TBI 350? I want one that makes the truck vibrate a little when it's idling. I was just curious about it.

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

2. Adrock

Adrock 1/2 ton status

Compucams makes one, and Edelbrock makes one. i am sure there are others, you just have to look a little bit harder. edelbrock also make a multiport efi conversion kit for the TBI that goes for about a grand and is very worth it, and thi also have the matching performer heads which i like very much. when looking for cams and stuff for TBI engines. look for things that say things like 87-on, and stuff like that.

Adam
    a.k.a. Adrock
    88 Chevy Blazer FI 383
    Feel the Thunder
    [​IMG]

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

As Adam said CompCams and Edlebrock both make "RV" cams for the 350 TBI, there are also a few other manufactures of this type of cam. There are others on this site that have a lot more knowledge about this than I do, but adding a cam such as you describe in a 4x4 that you intend to take off-road and run the engine at low rpms is a mistake. You need a cam that produces low end torque and hp.

I once owned a Jeep with a big cam and double pumper carb on it. It ran like a scaled ape on the streets, but was absolutely the worst off-road vehicle I have ever owned.

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Oh, man there is a lot of info available for that stuff. Try these links -
    http://www.fuelinjection.com
    http://www.jagsthatrun.com

We put a 288 compucam in my 406, it flat out rocks. And the low end is phenomenal, all depends on how the motor is set up/computer is setup/tbi size/etc. Lots of variables. The computer helps "smooth" out the cam..........

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If I recall correctly, Turbo City is the authority on GM TBI stuff. When all GM trucks were TBI, the truck magazines had big ads from them with all kinds of mods for TBI. The big issues are: 1. programming the computer correctly. 2. using injectors that flow enough to give the motor the fuel it needs. I think Turbo City will burn a custom chip for you if you provide them with all the pertinent info (cam specs, heads, intake, exhaust, etc.).

Another source of info, I think the name is Howell Engine Development. I think they're in Michigan.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

6. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

There is this place: goautocenter.com they sell all sorts of gm crate and replacemnt engines. Check out their 350 TBI HP engine. It is the GM replacement 350 tbi replacement engine for 1987-1995 trucks. They claim 270 hp and 357 ft/lbs the only difference is they insert a crane "rv" cam in it. They have the power curves for this engine. They charge 2050. I have no idea how reputable they are though.