Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cams

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Nov 1, 2004.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    What kind of cam should I get? I have been looking at the "Xtreme 4x4 X4280HR" Cam from comp cams.
    I will be pulling the stock exaust system right up to the block. I am going to put new heads, headers a 750 cfm or a 800 CFM carb. New push rods, 3 inch exhaust.
    I have a new intake. What other parts should be updated? The engine has less than 15,000 miles on it.
    Here is some info on the cam:
    http://www.powerandperformancenews.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=08-414-8&Category_Code=12-CAM&Store_Code=CC
    Thanks
    Adam

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

$353.07? I would buy a Summit cam for $80 and be happy.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you have an Auto trans you will need a higher stall torque convertor. 2500 rpm should do the trick.
    What kind of heads? Make sure the compression ratio will work with the cam.
    That is a pretty high RPM cam for a 4x4 it will run great between 1800-6000 rpm. Not exactly 4 wheeling speed.
    You may also need
    Hyd.Roller Lifters,( beings that is a roller cam)and good springs
    Might as well get roller rockers also
    All the machine work needed to retrofit that cam in your block. Unless you already have a roller block.
    Forged pistons/rods/crank would be nice if you plan on seeing 6 grand a lot. Your stock rotating assembly is only good for 5K rpm.
    Good ignition.

4. rhuarc31

rhuarc31 Registered Member

I got the comp cams extreme 4X4 12-239-3 cam for the motor I built for my suburban. It's not a roller, but I'm very happy with it, it idles well with a little thump, and pulls strong up to 5600. Something similar in a roller would probably rock.