Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

camshaft bolt.

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by colbystephens, Mar 2, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

so i was working on getting my engine together today and came across another funny problem. i got the timing gears on and whatnot, and went to install the bolt into the end of the cam which holds those gears on, and it seemed to stop about a 1/4-1/2 inch too early, at 65#ft. with my history of breaking bolts off into really important stuff, i thought i'd stop there and ask someone if they happen to have an engine apart, if they could measure the length of their camshaft bolt. i'm wondering if the machinist mixed it up or something while it was at his shop. the other thing to add, if it makes any difference, is the book said to use some thread locker on that - so i did. can't imagine why that would stop it too early though. anyway, any comments or suggestions??

2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Take bolt out. Get piece of stiff wire. Poke into hole. If it bottoms out solid, mark where it exits hole to gauge depth and check against bolt. If it bottoms out squishy, something is in your hole. If the length is fine check threads on bolt and maybe run a tap through the hole.

3. colbystephens

good word, dude. i'll try that.

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i have hurd oil could hydrolock in a blind bolt hole causeing problems like this, you didnt go over borad with the thread locker did you?

5. colbystephens

yeah, i did go overboard with the loctite. however, i measured the depth of the tapped hole today and it was signigicantly shorter than the bolt. :( i'm wondering if the machine shop got my bolt mixed up. i'm going to call them monday.