Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Camshaft choice/lifter kits: How easy is this JOB?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by _DeeVee8_, Aug 7, 2000.

1. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

Camshaft choice/lifter kits: How easy is this JOB?
    I'm losing alot of oil pressure latley and I'm not sure if its my oil pump or if its a combination of worn cam lobes and lifters. The engine has 88,000 miles and it was a 350 crate replacement(not by me!)

What kind of tear down time would I be looking at? Can I leave the engine in the truck while this is perfromed?

Whats the best combo for a kit-- I think I'm going with JEGS as my purchase source since Summitracing seems to be a bit lack luster in the customer service department.(hate to say it but I got the run around once for something comepletely different with them.)

the truck is almost completely on the road but I do swap out the 33" road treads( BALD BFG's!) for the 33" offroad meats.

what information do I need to order the right Cam/lifter set...do I need to have the block milled at all?

I'm totally lost when It comes to digging anywhere past the Carbs!

Please Help!

Blazing in Maine!

"You tried your best and you failed miserably.The lesson is, never try" [​IMG]

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Well what year is it? You said crate motor, right. Did they hack out the emissions stuff, if applicable to yours? I helped a buddy do this in his carport before. We didnt remove the mill from the truck. We simply removed the front end. We removed the hood, bumper, front grill, all bracketry and accesories, and inner fender wells. This took us about three hours with an air ratchet and other assorted tools. We took another two hours taking apart the front of the block and heads. He said its a good time to replace the pushords and related innards. After that he spent about an hour and a half doing lash adjustments on the valve springs. Total weekend job, including beer breaks and running to the parts store. He is a mechanic, I am not. I hope this helps a little bit.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you are losing a lot of oil pressure lately it definitely is not your cam. Your engine builds oil pressure with the oil pump (easy and cheap) and bearing tolerance. It sounds like one of three things to me: Oil pump on the way out, Bearings getting worn out, or an inaccurate oil pressure guage. I sure would'nt waste my money and time with a cam for an engine with possible bottom end problems.
    Just my 2 cents, hope it helps

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465/NP205,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress