Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Camshaft for stock engine.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jtrux, Mar 10, 2007.

1. jtrux

jtrux 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking about swapping my camshaft out of my blazer. It's a 260 hp crate motor with only 300 miles. I want more power. I want a camshaft I can put in and not worry about changing anything else out like valve springs and what now. What about Comp Cam's 268 grind cam or the 274 grind, does anyone have experience with either of them?

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I did the mild cam swap in another motor, in a previous owned car,,,,you will not physically notice any performance gains, without going further in the performance parts swapping, like higher flowing exhaust, headers, intake, and even more expensive, would be the heads and whatever work you can get done to them.......

Leave it alone if you don't want to go that far with it, it's just not worth in my opinion to do JUST a cam swap.

3. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would think you would be Ok, but you SHOULD check for valve to piston clearance

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I actually currently have that cam grind of something about the 272-274 or so in a motor right now,,,,having a hard time too with getting it to pass emissions, things have to be working perfectly for it to do it's job and pass that eco-nazi sniffer (carb issues):(

It'll work, i am not saying DON'T do it, i am just saying that you may not be all that happy after all the work is done, and then go to test drive it only to not notice much if any difference.

That's not saying the motor won't be generating any more torque or HP, just not enough for you to go WOW !!!:eek1:

:D