Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Camshaft Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5s10, Apr 1, 2007.

1. k5s10

k5s10 Registered Member

I want to do a cam swap while I have my motor out and I have it narrowed down to two Comp Cams 4x4 camshafts. Can I use these with stock valve springs.

SBC 350, stock 882 heads

1st - 0.447 int./0.462 exh. lift
    1,000-5,200 RPM

2nd - 0.462 int./0.480 exh. lift
    1,300-5,600 RPM

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

??:confused: :confused: Engine? Specs?.........................................?
    or is this a multiple choice answer...............
    Hmm..... i'm feeling lucky:D
    I'll take cam #2.

3. Dudge

Dudge 1/2 ton status

Hmm. I'm not sure, I guess it depends on the condition of your valve springs. I'm not sure that stock springs will handle the lift of #2. I know I probably wouldnt use them on stock Vortec heads. They only handle .480". Springs are cheap. If it were me, I'd have mine checked to see if they would hold up, or just buy a different set that I know would hold up.

4. 85mudbogger

85mudbogger 1/2 ton status

not everybody does it but u will get more performance and reliability out of ur engine if you go with the matching springs for either one of those cams, go to comps website and they should tell you a part # for the springs, and proper install height to get the proper open and close pressures otherwise your motor will not run up to par, it will float out way to early or not want to idle right without the proper pressure.

5. Seafarer76

Seafarer76 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Did you call Compcams help line? They recommended a regular XE camshaft, not a XE 4x4, for my application - XE256. Duration int. 256, Exh. 268, Duration @ 0.05 int. 212, Exh. 218, Lift int. .447, Exh. .454, LSA 110°

Whatever you decide, you can get the complete kit with cam, lifters, springs and timing set from summit or Jegs. That's the way i went, just because my springs were an unknown factor. I needed to replace the timing set too...it had way too much slop.

6. k5s10

k5s10 Registered Member

I finally got ahold of Comp Cams today.They suggest the first cam with new springs.They said stock springs would work with the 1st cam but would weaken & float with the increased lift.

Thanks