Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Camshaft know-it-alls.....stop in and answer my query please.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Aug 21, 2004.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Aight, I got an 87 K5 with TBI. I wanna put a cam in it. The thing is, I don't know which one to go with. I DO know that it has to be for a computer controlled engine....as far as anything else, I have no clue. I'm gonna be doing some towing with it. It has the typical 465/205 blah going and 3.73's pushing 35's.

Let me know what you come up with...

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would leave the stock cam if you're doing some towing, and upgrade the gears to at least 4.10.

If you're set on buying a cam, Crane has some Compucams that should work well with your setup, one in particular has 204/214 duration @ .050" or so, that should work great and provide a 1200-5000 RPM powerband that will be perfect for what you're doin.

Where the hell you been, man???/

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My cam

Tim, I'm kind of curious, off the top of your head, how does it compare to this one? (that ones a roller FWIW)

I'm pretty happy with it, but the torque curve might be a tad too low in the RPM range. Just something for the poster to chew on.

My setup is MAF though, chip burning on a TBI setup is probably going to be a "necessity".

I tend to agree with the "leave it stock" plan. They were already geared towards torque and economy, and perhaps the only advantage to a new cam might be a split pattern (intake/exhaust different numbers) if the stock one is a single pattern. Of course, better exhaust with a single pattern cam can negate some of the gains in the dual pattern vs. single pattern battle.

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    If you're set on buying a cam, Crane has some Compucams that should work well with your setup, one in particular has 204/214 duration @ .050" or so, that should work great and provide a 1200-5000 RPM powerband that will be perfect for what you're doin.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said...

For the application and use you are talking about the camshaft mentioned by Tim is the standard choice by many.

Also, I agree with what Tim said about the gears as well. I would recommend the gear change before you do the camshaft change. You will notice a much bigger change in performance from the gear change, than you will from the camshaft change.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Dorian,

It wouldn't let me view your cam card via that link. It doesn't really take much to identify a computer friendly cam though if you understand what you're looking. 220 or so max duration @ .050", 112-114 LSA, etc.

I have never owned a Compucam but I had a Comp Xtreme 4x4 that was similar to that Compucam in my old 305 that I blew up that was similar in specs. It had tons of torque off idle and died around 4500 RPM. If it was a carbed 350 with decent gears and no overdrive I'd usually suggest a bigger cam...but the one that I had in that motor (204/216, 111 LSA) was great for what I used it for.

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

That's where I was torn...the gearing. My buddy with a TH-350 has 4.10's and at highway speed he's just turning too many RPM's for me. I don't know what the difference between his auto and my stick will be in RPM's at speed, but I figured it would be close.

I know I'm gonna put headers on it and I'm going to make my own cold air intake/ram air setup. I was hoping to leave the computer alone.

Ya'll are helping me out though. I mean, it's not too late to change tire sizes because all it is right now is a cab and chassis. I'm trying to get the motor worked out before I slap it back in there, which will hopefully be soon.

As far as being MIA, blame it on a job, a g/f that just can't be without me, and just plain not having anywhere to work on the truck. That and my comp crashed a while back and I'm just now getting it fixed. But I'm back to stay now.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You're probably just used to having overdrive.

My tow rig has no o/d, 31s, and 4.10s, turns 3,000 RPM @ 65, and pulls 9,000 lbs just nicely. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. BigOrange90Jimmy

You're right, I am. But will I be fine with 35's and 3.73's, given I do a little engine mods?

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think with a 35" tire, if you're pulling any reasonable amount of weight, you're going to find 3.73s quite gutless. Let others post up their experiences, but I personally would rather see a set of 4.10s or so in there for street driving, and even lower than that if you expect to do any towing for a reasonable distance.

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I will agree on the gearing. I called Comp and they gave me the green light to run the smallest 4x4 cam in my TBI equipped 'Burb.

Especialoly if your part of NC has any of the hills, get more gear /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. BigOrange90Jimmy

G-D it! I can't fawkin win! I give up...I'm selling everything. This crap is too darn expensive.......

12. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    G-D it! I can't fawkin win! I give up...I'm selling everything. This crap is too darn expensive.......

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't sell everything, you won't get half of what you have put in to it. I say just let it slowly take all your money so you don't notice it all at once. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. BigOrange90Jimmy

I wouldn't be so mad if I didn't have to have this truck by a certain time. It took me long enough to round up some 3/4 ton axles that were in good condition, and now that I have them and they're in the truck, the gears are wrong.

Oh well....anyone have some 4.10's for sale? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why not just put some smaller tires on it when you're pulling?

15. BigOrange90Jimmy

Well I was doing some thinking today, and I realized something:

I DON'T REALLY WANNA TOW ANYTHING WITH A TRUCK SITTING ON 35'S!!!!!

I have done that already, and it's kinda scary to me. So I'm just gonna put 33's on the truck permanently since nothing is set in stone yet.

That'll be cheaper on me 2 ways: cheaper tires and cheaper lift to clear.

So, will 33's be aight with 3.73's?

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What are you towing?

I'm not really the person to ask to suggest towing anything heavy/large with a K5, but I always have my C30 in the backyard, so I never am in the position to do such a thing, but, if you must do so, I'd probably give the go-ahead depending on what you're pulling, and how heavy.

17. BigOrange90Jimmy

For right now it'll be a tandem axle trailer with my Samurai on it. later on it'll be my orange K5 with rockwells and 52's, but that's more than a year away from now. That'll be the heaviest thing I'll ever tow with it.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sammy, maybe ok.

Orange K5 with rockwells behind a K5 going down the road, NEVER ok, that is too much weight for that short wheelbase.

I suggest you start finding another tow rig right now and just save yourself the grief.

19. BigOrange90Jimmy

Well by the time I am able to afford a bigger tow rig and the petro to propel it, that truck will be done....roughly 2-3 years.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif