Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can 208 chain be tightened?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Pure Insanity, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I am not exactly sure whats happening but I am getting a crunching sound from below when I go from reverse to drive. I have checked the Ujoints and pinion play in the 14b. I think it may be the chain slopping around. I have also noticed before and it has come to mind w/ this noise that I could hear almost a clicking sound when the tranny would down shift from 3-2 and 2-1 when coming to a stop. It doesnt seem to be nearly as bad going into reverse for some reason though. Actually its not even noticeable.

I would LOVE to go to a 205, but right now is not the time money wise since were about to buy a house. Can the 208 chain be tightened, or does it have to be replaced?

If I cant tighten the chain I am afraid PI will be shop bound till I can get a 205. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

no, it can't be tightened. It's very easy to remove the rear 1/2 of case while t-case is still in truck for inspection though.

3. Pure Insanity

I was afraid this was the answer I would hear. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I have heard you can get in thru the drain plug to check the chain w/ a screw driver.

I have a T18/Dana 20 pair put up I have been thinking about, but the kit to make it work would be more than what I can get a 350/205 combo for. Even though I would have to get the output shaft swapped into my tranny either way. Speaking of which, I have already twisted 1 conversion shaft for the 350/208, I wonder if it has again?

Looks like I may be doing some wheeling and dealing to get this 350/205. Anyone need a kidney? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Pure Insanity

OK then, how about popping the 208 apart and going through it? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

What would I be looking for to be broken worn or otherwise. And what about an SYE. (if Im gonna open it up, I may as well /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Is there a short shaft set up? I have heard and seen conflicting info on a shorter shaft. I have seen a Ford 208 and it didnt look much different than whats under there now, but have heard the Dodge is shorter, but requires welding and machineing.

Yes I did a search and am trying to pile all my questions in here. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

OK now that all thats out of the way, it just came to me that the noise Im hearing is in 2wd. So the chain shouldnt even be in play here right? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif So what can be making all the noise. The only reason I am concerned is it sounds like a crunch when going in. Play I can live w/ crunching I cant. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Sorry for all the crazy questions but Im not real familiar w/ chain drive cases. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. Pure Insanity

Well it wasnt the case after all. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

what was it?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i wanna know too, my stepdads 82 K10 208 th350(originally 700r4) truck is having issues with one auto hub making horrible spline grinding nosies sometimes when cruising down highway, and also problems when at low speed and stopping of something under truck grinding free spinning and going into park making horrible gear grinding noises, 4x4 still works though.., i dont know whats up, but too bad he wont lose the junk auto hubs..,.. theyre POS's..

good luck

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

He started a new thread about his tranny barfing. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

9. Pure Insanity

Tranny go BANG! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I have another thread floating around, and Im in a slightly better mood now than I was when I made my last post in it too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif