Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can 52" springs be used without altering axle location

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GMC500, Mar 27, 2007.

1. GMC500

GMC500 1/2 ton status

hello

can I use stock 52" rear springs in the front without altering axle location ? and without upgrading steering setup?

truck is driven in sand and mud and alot on the pavement
    no rocks here

I live in Saudi Arabia
    and I want to lift my truck 4 inches of total lift ( springs in the front + shackle flip in the rear )
    but shipping a set of lift springs will cost me too much ( USA to Saudi Arabia )

or

is there any other alternatives

thanks

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Waaayyullll.... I spose you COULD use 52"s with the stock axle location by moving the rear hangers back ~2-2.5" and moving the front hangers forward the same.

If you kept the axle location the same, you could stick with the same steering setup.

Just seems ... like it would be a lot of work. Maybe see if you can get your existing springs re-arched locally?

-- A

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

re arching is a waist of time and on stock 47" tapered leaf fronts it is not safe or recomended.

i think he is right tho on the moving of the hangers out both ends a bit and it would work for ya. if you were a member then you could search and there is tons of info on 52 " spring swaps with lots of pics also.

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

if you are going to take the spring out of the rear of ur truck, what are you going to use in the rear for the shackle flip??

5. GMC500

GMC500 1/2 ton status

I have access to a free set of stock 52"

6. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Sand mud and pavement equals no real need for the benefits 52's provide.Take your stock front springs, use the main leaf with bushings, and mix and match other leaves to get the lift you want.

7. GMC500

GMC500 1/2 ton status

is it OK to use this method to get 4" of front lift ?
    I mean wouldn't that alter the pinion angel too much

thanks

8. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

It might but even lift springs from aftermarket companies come with a tapered shim to make this correction. There are vendors onhere that can get you the correct degree shim once you figure out what the angle is

9. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

Yes, You can. If you just move the front spring hanger directly under the Body Mount Bracket(instead of in front of it) it will not alter wheelbase, and the shackle angle will be right where you want it.

Yes, it would be wise to add bumpstops, and maybe even a limiting strap on the drivers side to prevent bind in the steering and to keep the tires from hitting the fender or wheelwell. Its ideal to go to crossover steering, but you dont have too.

10. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I was thinking that would work but never seen it done, do you have any pics? Friend has a k5 we are building and crossover isn't in the budget for him yet.

11. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

A couple of guys on here did it. I tried looking for the pics, but no luck.

Everybody on here says there is no point on doing a 52 inch swap and leaving the axle in the stock location, or there is no way you can do it without crossover.

It'll work, just not as good as using crossover and moving the axle forward for tire clearance.

I think a set of stock 52" in front, and a 4" shackle flip will make for an awesome riding Blazer.