Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can a 2WD NV4500 be converted to 4WD?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by arveetek, Apr 18, 2002.

1. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I notice that these trannies have removable tailshaft housings. Is that all that is required? I have read that I must change the output shaft to 32 spline. What is involved in this? And will an NV4500 bolt up to an NP208?

Thanks

Casey

2. Charly

Charly Registered Member

Yes, you will need to change the mainshaft out and change the tailhousing.

3. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I've overhauled engines, swapped TH350's to 700's, converted gasser trucks to diesels, but I've never changed a mainshaft or even been inside a manual gearbox at all. Is it hard to do? What's involved?

Thanks!

4. Charly

Charly Registered Member

If you've overhauled an engine, you can rebuild a manual tranny.

Quite frankly, it's simple.....

....the "hardest" part is the fact that you need a press (and then it's ridiculously simple).

For special tools, all you need is a decent set of retaining ring pliers ("eaton" style pliers are the correct ones....available from McMaster-Carr for $14), a dial indicator to measure end play and possibly a spanner socket for the mainshaft nut....

I just rebuilt and swapped the shafts on a 93 commercial 2wd NV4500, this one had no mainshaft nut, not sure about the other 2wd versions, but the 4wd mainshaft does have one.

Seriously, it's nothing to be afraid ofat all....I don't have access to the link right now, but there is an online review of the GM technician's reference manual that is still available, cost $19, it is invaluable, it does not have a teardown, but it has clear pics and driagrams of the assembly, torque specs, and powerflow. It's worth it's weight in gold when you are reassembling the tranny.

I'll get the link soon, but you can also look on the Pirate board (Chevy section) and under favorite links (it's at the top) I have it listed there.

Charly

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Was it an expensive swap? What else was needed, beside the mainshaft?

6. Charly

Charly Registered Member

Here's the link to the manual review (with purchase info):

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/reviews/jlnv4500.htm

If nothing else, I suggest purchasing this reference manual, even if you personally don't swap the mainshaft.

Other than the mainshaft, you will need the mainshaft nut, damper and tailhousing (w/seal). The rest will be bearings etc......if needed. Rebuild kits for NV4500 (w/synchro rings) end up costing in the neighborhood of $3-500.

The mainshaft I was looking for (different application) was below $200, and I happened to find a tailhousing used for $100. The spanner wrench cost $50, but I was able to find a dealer that actually lended it to me for the day (I was surprised too).

Contact Novak Conversions directly for a price on a mainshaft. You can tell Eric that I sent you.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/

Charly