Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can a 465/205/divorced 205 setup be done?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Zeus33rd, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I've been thinking of less expensive ways to get some gear reduction. If the money would fall out of the sky and land in my lap, I would grab me one of Stephens Doublers without a thought. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Thought about dual 465's. The more I read about it, sounded like it would be alittle more work than I wanted to deal with, plus it's a pretty long set up. Then I thought about using a divorced 205 behind a standard 465/205 setup. I'm assuming the divorced 205 would have to be a drivers drop version, otherwise the front output of the 1st t-case would be in the way of the front output on the 2nd. Wich would also require a drivers drop front axle. Or the 1st case a drivers drop, then a passenger drop divorced 205 as the 2nd tcase. Would that work? Is there such a thing as a passenger drop divorced 205? From a dodge maybe? Is there a drivers drop 205 that will bolt to the back of a 465? And last but not least, is there enough room for all this under a K5 wheelbased rig? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I've been thinking of less expensive ways to get some gear reduction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, seemed to me that the little blue tractor had plenty of torque to push the k5 up the rti ramp /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, seemed to me that the little blue tractor had plenty of torque to push the k5 up the rti ramp /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah...smartass. My truck has been running and driving for 3 or 4 months now. Runs pretty good as a matter of fact. And it was a green tractor. Duh. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah...smartass. My truck has been running and driving for 3 or 4 months now. Runs pretty good as a matter of fact. And it was a green tractor. Duh. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh oh well close enough /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I don't think you're going to get it to work in the 106-ish wheelbase. With the Doubler we add 6" overall and even with a long tranny combo like a TH400, you wouldn't be more than 9" longer than your stock 465/205 combo. The extra 205 by itself would be something like 14" from ujoint to ujoint, plus the room for a short driveshaft.
    You could try running 2 pass. drop 205s but run the front output off the front case and the rear output out the back case. You'd have to use another divorced 205's upper shaft assembly for the front 205's front output and cut the new front output gears smooth in the front 205 so they wouldn't bind up on the cluster gear when the back case is in low range. Then weld some slingers onto the gears somewhere to move oil to the top of the case. Then run a mini driveshaft from the front output of the last 205 to the new yoke on the back of the front output of the front 205. Think about this for a minute, it's confusing but I checked the description and it makes sense if you read it a few times.
    This doesn't help the length problem and the work you put into it could probably be used to weld up a few more pieces of something to get you farther toward buying what you really need. Heck, the work I just put into thinking about it would pay for the shipping!
    Have fun thinking about this one.....

6. Zeus33rd

w00t! thanks for the reply Stephen. I kinda figured I need something like Willyswanters wheelbase to make it work. lol, oh well.

Someone told me you had the parts available to make the back of the 203 range box into a fixed yoke set-up. Is this true? I have a 465/203 combo in my rig now, If I could loose the chain part, add a fixed yoke to the back of the range box, then I could add a divorced 205 in there. What ya think? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. Stephen

Why the facination with the divorced 205? Why not just marry it up and be done? I guess you have a divorced 205 so that might have something to do with it but I still think a conventional unit is best. If you put a yoke on the back of the 203 box, you have the extra length on the 203 and the extra length on the 205 plus the driveshaft. That doesn't save you much length over leaving the 205 in there as the front gearbox.

8. Zeus33rd

Heh...No fascination, just tryin to do somethin different. Paoint taken though...If the grandaddy of GM trucks thinks it's foolish, then...well, thats enough for me. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. Stephen

You might want to work on the merits of the argument rather than the source but I still think you're going to have a hard time fitting it.

10. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I know that it can and has been done. I have seen 1 setup before, and the divorced tcase just had 1 single ujoint between the rear output of the front case and the input of the 2nd case. It was a pass drop 205 out of an older Chev (like a 70ish...) and the setup was in a short bed p/u and seemed to work fine. I have been considering the same thing, but just have not gotten up the ambition to round up the parts and try to make it work.
    If you can p/u the divorced 205 for cheap enough, all you will be out is a little work and very little $$ (if you fab your own driveshafts) if it doesn't work... give it a whirl!

11. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

12. Stephen

Hmmm, I think Pascal Ray has 2 doublers in his fleet...
    Regardless, in a K5 wheelbase, adding 15" behind the existing 205 is going to make a short rear driveshaft. If you can make that work, you're set.