Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can a 465/205/divorced 205 setup be done?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I've been thinking of less expensive ways to get some gear reduction. If the money would fall out of the sky and land in my lap, I would grab me one of Stephens Doublers without a thought. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Thought about dual 465's. The more I read about it, sounded like it would be alittle more work than I wanted to deal with, plus it's a pretty long set up. Then I thought about using a divorced 205 behind a standard 465/205 setup. I'm assuming the divorced 205 would have to be a drivers drop version, otherwise the front output of the 1st t-case would be in the way of the front output on the 2nd. Wich would also require a drivers drop front axle. Or the 1st case a drivers drop, then a passenger drop divorced 205 as the 2nd tcase. Would that work? Is there such a thing as a passenger drop divorced 205? From a dodge maybe? Is there a drivers drop 205 that will bolt to the back of a 465? And last but not least, is there enough room for all this under a K5 wheelbased rig? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

No technical help, but Dodge divorced NP205's are passenger drop, and so are the oddball GM divorced NP205's (usually from newer Napco trucks), and then there are also IHC divorced NP205's. Watch the Internationals, as some of their older trucks used NP200's and NP202's, which dont share parts availability with their smaller brother.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    And last but not least, is there enough room for all this under a K5 wheelbased rig?

[/ QUOTE ]

The rear driveshaft would be very short. I have a divorced 205 in a long bed hooked up to a 2wd transmission (which is shorter than tranny/t-case) and my rear shaft is 48". Subtract some for the tranny/t-case and shorter wheelbase...

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think other than the lenth in a K5, it'd be very doable. I don't really think clearing the front output part of the 'case would be a problem, and if it was, you could use a carrier bearing in the driveshaft.

5. Zeus33rd

Hmmm....

So the front output part of the first 205 wouldn't be in the way of the driveline coming from the 2nd 205? Assuming both are passenger drop. I guess I just can't visualize it in my head. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

what is the case made out of on a 205 cast or machined steel? you could cut the FWD portion off and just weld a cap on to it, if what i said make's any sence

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It's cast, but if you were going to cut up the case and build a new case, you might as well just buy a doubler.

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

you wouldent have to build a new case, just cut off the out put side flat and weld on a plate cover, but i have never taken one apart so i dont know how it looks in side /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hmmm....

So the front output part of the first 205 wouldn't be in the way of the driveline coming from the 2nd 205? Assuming both are passenger drop. I guess I just can't visualize it in my head. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think that the front one would be in the way. These pics are with a 2wd tranny, you can use them for reference. The breakover angle isn't very good either. (And yes I know that my rear pinion angle sucks, I'm working on that /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

you would have to run one case of each drop. and the rear driveline will need to be an extreme angle one from Jesse.
    My driveline is 36" long(stock k5 350-203 length)
    thats a 465-205 set up with the motor back 4". now just add the length of the extra case to that.

so basicly a 40" rear shaft minus the depth of a divorced case.

11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

soooo bad idea?

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

your front driveline would have to be a two piece unit to get a good break over point. I see it as do able. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

no im talkin about my cut off part of the t-case idea

14. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'd have to see a 205 apart to see how the 1st cases low range is set up since that is what ya need it for.

15. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Joe, i don't know how much the parts would cost but why not do a 465/203 rangebox with a fixed output to a divorced 205? ORD sells the parts to make a 203 rangebox fixed yoke so that you can install it behind a 2wd trans for a double low gear.

16. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    Joe, i don't know how much the parts would cost but why not do a 465/203 rangebox with a fixed output to a divorced 205? ORD sells the parts to make a 203 rangebox fixed yoke so that you can install it behind a 2wd trans for a double low gear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that sounds like a cool idea. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Since my truck already has the 465/203 set up. Can anyone shed more light on this? Guess I'll have to go take a look at the ORD website and see what I can find. That sounds interesting and alittle different. I like it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you already have the 465 and 203, you're golden. Just do a doubler dude....you already have the hard to find part that we all want.

18. Zeus33rd

The idea is to try to save the cash over the doubler. And to be different at the same time. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was searching for the parts to do a divorced doubler. One was for sale on ebay a while back and I am pretty certain ORD sells a setup. Basically a 203 range box with a cover that holds a yoke on. Could use it for low 2wd in a 2wd setup but also doubler with a divorced case. I have access to a divorced 205 cheap so was heavily considering combining one of my 208s with it. Never followed through.

20. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I was searching for the parts to do a divorced doubler. One was for sale on ebay a while back and I am pretty certain ORD sells a setup. Basically a 203 range box with a cover that holds a yoke on. Could use it for low 2wd in a 2wd setup but also doubler with a divorced case. I have access to a divorced 205 cheap so was heavily considering combining one of my 208s with it. Never followed through.

[/ QUOTE ]are NP241's interchangeable? If so, you could find a sm465/np241 combo, and then get an np241 from a late model rig...

Could there be a way to change out the "divorced" section on a divorced Ford Np205 w/ the "married" section of a married chevy Np205? If so, you could get a divorced ford Np205 and switch that out. I would imagine it would require a custom shaft or two though...