Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can a 81-87 tank bolt up to a 73-80 frame?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Oct 27, 2001.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I see the part no.'s are different for saddle tanks for 73-80 and 81-87. But will they bolt up to the frame the same?
    My understanding is that the inlet tube is a larger diameter on the newer tanks and requires a different sized filler neck, but that's it. Any insight?
    I want to buy a polyethylene tank for my truck and I have an 87 bed on a 70's frame. I figured I would buy a 81-87 tank and use a newer filler neck. I would hate to buy the tank and it not bolt up.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> The mud's on it to hide that it's more than one color.[​IMG]

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Mike, I believe the tanks can be used on any year, BUT, not on the '87. Reason for the '87 and newer, the electric fuel pump. The holes are different.

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have an 87 gas tank in my 79 K5. But it does have an in tank fuel pump. It is a stock installation otherwise.

<font color=blue>azblazor</font color=blue>
    <font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>