Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can a bad carb cause intermittant backfireing?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Piranha300, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Piranha300

Piranha300 Registered Member

The car has been stored for about 3 years. It seems to only do it after I fill up with gas. It seems to flood and miss and then backfire. It will then run fine for awhile? Any info would be great. Thanks

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

How much have you run it since it has been out of storage? I have seen this before but it cleared up when the engine was ran for some time. Stickey lifters I guess. Your Carb might be dumping too much gas down it also. Causing it to load up.

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

when you say "backfire" are you talking about popping out of the carb or the tailpipes?

John

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Could. A carb sitting that long is NEVER good. I rebuilt a carb last weekend that had only sat for about a year and you should have seen the crid in the bottom and stuck to the meetering rods. Rebuild it.

5. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

Grim would you be willing to rebuild a carb for me if I was to throw some cash your way? And if not could you suggest a place to do this
    Just a 74 quadrapuke. p.m. me
    Also I have had Carbs stored for a few years in a bag out of the weather in the house and had no problems with it, maybe just lucky?

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well if they were drained then it might not be so bad and they may function. Problem is the only way to drain them is turn them upside down. till all the fuel is out of them. If you did that then it worked. If the sit with fuel in them the fuel will evaporate and leave a chalky residue that may jam the meetering rods. there is also a concern that the stuff like the valve and the accelerator pump rubber will dry rot.
    Honestly other than you might need to have a machine shop install a new set of bushings for the shafts, this is really not that hard. A rebuild just consists of replacing seals and cleaning. If your very carefull to not bend any linkages about the only thing you need to do is check the float level and adjust the choke and idle mix.