Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can a D60 axle shaft ear be straightened, and still be serviceable?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FWP, Oct 23, 2003.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

Does anyone know of the best method to straighten the ears out, so a U-joint will fit? I want to put the shafts in and run them regularly on the trails. Will the straightened shaft live through the torture I will put it through? Or is it a lost cause? Need advice here /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Here's the story behind it....
    The shafts I'm currently running are the necked down style. I have a spare set of the non- necked down shafts that the ears were bent by someone trying to remove the U-joints. The inner side of the snap ring surface measures 2.990 and the outer end of the surface is 2.850. I was wanting to straighten these, and run them in the Blazer, using the necked down ones as spares. Whaddya guys think???

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

That's not too terribly bad. I think I would go for it without too much concern. But, I'm no expert to make the call, just my opinion. Frankly, the new inners are well under $100 from 4WD Warehouse (and others) so is it worth the concern? I might also be inclined to buy another thick inner and use the straightened inner as a spare plus sell the neck-down to someone needing a spare to offset the cost.

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I might also be inclined to buy another thick inner and use the straightened inner as a spare plus sell the neck-down to someone needing a spare to offset the cost.

I had to read that one twice before I got the gist of it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif But I do agree with what he said. That is if you can pony up the bucks in the first place to buy the new parts. Good luck to ya.

Allan