Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can a distributor tick?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RockyRider13, Feb 2, 2003.

1. RockyRider13

RockyRider13 1/2 ton status

Just got done putting on a new intake gasket, and while timing it, the distributor jumped up about a 1/4 inch and started banging around. I shut off the car, there was smoke on pass. side of the engine. Timed it again, got it right and while driving i can hear a ticking noise when i'm in the cabin, it is a whining under the hood. It goes away somtimes, but always happens idle. Screwed up dist. gear? cap and rotor? out of blinker fluid? thanks.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I had a similar problem after pulling my dis once to put a new pickup coil on it. I started it and it when tap tap tap. I shut if off, when and looked around, started it and then when underhood with the motor on (and tapping) I found that I much not have seated the dis all the way and it was jumping up and down a little. I R&R'ed it again, checked the gear to make sure everything was ok, and it sloved my problem. I just made sure it was seated fully and the bolt and retainer were tightened full.

3. RockyRider13

RockyRider13 1/2 ton status

I think that i found the offending bracket, thanks.