Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can a EFE valve go bad?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by UseYourBlinker, Mar 5, 2002.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I'm having some issues with my EVE (Early Fuel Evaporation) valve on my 84K5. First problem is the little arm that holds it closed and open keeps falling off. Then there is also an exhaust leak coming from it. Looked at my LMC catalog,and they want $99.95 for a new one. So is there a gasket on it,that could have gone bad? Or do I need to replace it all together?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

ditch it completely. You can buy a corvette "efe eliminator" for about $25 from some place called rik's vettes or something...I looked them up a year ago or so, and the pieces were listed online. You need the "spacer" though because the EFE is flat on one side, and of course, takes up about a 2" gap between the manifold and the exhaust pipe. The flat side (manifold end I think) does use a gasket.

You don't really need it, this is one of the "emissions" devices I would do without if faced with a problem with it.

Ok, its http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?Parta~BldFilter~cadefghb~www.riksvet.com~1024~~7~1~1~~~ use 1969 as the year, exhaust as the category, then "search". Go to page 2 of the results, "heat riser spacer" is #3 and #4 from the bottom. I'd call and double check that it would fit your manifold before calling (same bolt pattern) and also check the exhaust diameter. I'd bet you have a 2" exhaust manifold outlet, and that they use the same bolt pattern.

3. UseYourBlinker

I live in Cali..so if I take it off. Will I be able to pass smog?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hmm..if thats on their visual inspection list, you'd prolly fail. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif It's not necessary to pass a sniffer though. When they are working, fine, no problems. But when they fail, you can have knocking sounds, reduced performance, you name it.

Obviously they aren't something that fails every 20,000 miles, but amending my previous statement, if it isn't inspected by the state, I'd pull it.

5. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

You will fail the visual inspection if ya dont have it .My truck didnt have one when I bought it so I picked one up at a yard for $30.I think there is a doughnut sort of gasket where the pipe hooks on but I dont remember whats between it and the manifold.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey Eric, come see me at Total Auto Supply in Fremont, I work in the machine shop and I think I can help you. I may actually have one left over from some stuff I had in the past, if not we can supply you with one relatively cheap I am sure.

7. UseYourBlinker

Alrighty Scott. I'll stop by later in the week. Send me a PM of the hours you work. Thanks!!

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Eric, I work mon-fri 8-5 sat 9-3. Just come to the shop in back of the store.