Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can a flange mount be replaced with a u-joint mount on a front driveshaft

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xnoahx, Dec 7, 2002.

1. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Im looking to buy a diveshaft but its the flat flange type mount and I need the u-joint type of mount. can this be switched out? I alreay have a driveshaft that has a CV on it with the u joint mount but its too short to use and the splines are worn out. I would assume that I could just switch the CV's right out. Or is there something im not thinking about /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

anyone?

3. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

TTT not to rob your post
    but i also need the same thing
    i have the front drive shaft from a 700r4 flange mount
    and need 1 for a th350 u-joint 26 inches long
    can these be made from the flange mounted shafts?

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Here it goes! I had this problem last week! I just recently put a 205 behind a 700 R4 and went from a flange from a 208 to a 205 with a front u-joint output... The lengthened drivshaft I bought had a flat flange attachment and I wanted to switch the two out... The problem was that the front output on the 205 was a 10 spline output and there was never a 10 spline flat flange.... I than had to buy a Ford 205 and switch the 32 spline front out for the 10 spline I had, The Ford has a U-joint yoke on it as well, but you can eather buy a 32 spline flange from Jesse at High Angle Driveline, OR go get a front flange off of a 208(which I had) and slide it onto the front!!!!! Works great! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

no, you cannot change a flange style driveshaft to a yoke style. the cv sections are different lengths and the cv ball is set up differently. youre going to have to find a driveshaft from the early to late 70's.

6. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

not what i wanted to hear but ok