Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can a fuel pump be intermittently defective?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by divorced, Mar 22, 2006.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

1996 K1500 with a Vortec 5.7

About a year ago we bought this truck and the engine had to be cranked a while for it to start, so the dealer replaces the fuel pump and all was well for a while. Now it is hard to start again after sitting for a while, so I'm thinking the fuel pump is going out again only a year later?

A couple days ago I was driving and the truck just shuts off. After sitting for about 10 minutes, it starts again and I drive home. I haven't tried to drive it since then. So, can a fuel pump be intermittently defective?

2. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

Maybe the fuel filter is clogged?

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

A fuel pump can have intermittent operation. I had it happen on my car. However, the problem you describe could be a number of things.

4. fasthumpman

fasthumpman Registered Member

i had a 98 vortec and mine was intermitant. ive gone through 3 of em and theve all made a loud whining noise before goin out. but yeh definitally sure on the work one day not another.

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Could be several things. What speed were you going, when it died?

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Nope, I just replaced the filter about a month ago when it started acting up, but it didn't help.

I noticed about a month and a half ago that the pump was making a louder-than-normal whining noise. It wasn't a continuous whine, but more of a pulsating sound. I'm curious, have you been buying GM replacement pumps or from somewhere else? My pump was replaced a year ago by the used car dealer when we bought the truck and now it's out again already, but he might have even installed a used pump for all I know. I was thinking of a GM pump, unless they are no better than AutoZone pumps.

Cruising at about 55 mph, then it just died as if someone turned the key off. No "check engine" lights came on that I know of.

7. fasthumpman

fasthumpman Registered Member

i tried the really fancy one all the mechanics recommended (ac delco)... i believe.. and then after that one took a crapola i tried the 1 million dollar original but so far my autozone el cheapo(with a lifetime warranty) has not given me no problems. mine did the exact same thing with the pulsating whining noise. sometimes it got so loud i could hear it over my radio. does your truck see alot of mud/sand or dirt? good luck

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

yes thay can. and also check the dist cap and rotor. those vortecs eat them bad up in my nec of the woods. lots of moisture gets in them and craps out the terminals. and if bad get the ac dlco one . only one i have had the best luck with. if you dont then get prem with gold terminals.