Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can a GPS be used to be to tell accurate speed?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by juanblzer, Jun 21, 2004.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I don't have a speedo but I should probably have one for my upcoming interstate trip. I want to buy a GPS but I am wondering if the speed it says you are traveling at: is actually somewhat accurate.
    juan

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's only accurate to about one TENTH of a MPH. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I use mine to check the accuracy of my speedos. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I have never seen a difference in my speedo and the reading on my GPS, so yes.

Don't know if you've ever owned a GPS, but do some research, prices and functions vary greatly.

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

As long as the GPS unit is receiving a good saellite signal , it'll give you about the most accurate speed indication you can get.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I don't know how the signal strength is back east, but here in Colorado I've never seen fewer than 6 satellites available at one time on my Magellan GPS 315, even when mounted up on the dash. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It often shows 6 or 7 with plenty of signal available. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. jayweb

jayweb 1/2 ton status

why not get one of those new gps speedos from nordskog (like they use on offshore powerboats)?

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Depends where I'm at. I can usually get 4 sats in my driveway, and never less than 5 sats in the park. Driving around the backroads in Jersey though is another story. Some of these roads have triple-canopy-jungle-type overhangs, and the signal just can't punch through...

When I was on the summit at Pila in the Italian Alps (8600ft), I had 10 sats with full signal bars - accuracy was 3 feet!