Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can a guy still find wattage boosters for CB's?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by white-rhyno, Apr 3, 2003.

1. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

Can a guy still find wattage boosters for CB\'s?

Yes i dont know much about cb's, other than mine works ok. But i also heard they illegal? is this true. There has to be some out there.

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Re: Can a guy still find wattage boosters for CB\'s?

foot warmer, linear, heat, amplifier, whatever you wanna call them... yup you sure can get them. It all depends on how much you want to spend and how many watts you want. The selection is huge. They are illegal but are readily available.

Click here to open your eyes a little to what's out there.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

H&Y sells them.

4. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

Thanks Guys

5. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I was wondering about this too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. rebelk5frk

The link I posted also has a pretty active message forum that also has a "traders market" where you can normally find used amps also.

There are several places scattered around the net that sells amps. Heck you can even find smaller amps on Ebay from time to time, but they normally get kicked off before the auction ends.

7. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

when people are using these, are they using the 10m amps? Like for ham radios?

8. rebelk5frk

Yeah sort of.... They call them 10m amps but there really is no such thing. All of the supposed "10 meter amps" are designed to be used for 11 meter CB. They just happen to be broadbanded enough to work on a few ham bands also /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif They market them as 10 meter amps to try to make them seem more legal.

The only legal amps are ones that are for use above 144mhz, type certified by the fcc for lower freq's, or home made for personal use by a ham. The only ones the FCC will certify/type accept are ones that will not operate above 24mhz unless it's for the 6 meter band with the required filtering etc.

Just about all of the "real" hf amps for ham use can be easily modified by the user for use in all HF bands to include 10m and normally 11m will work also but is the responsibility of the user not to use amplifiers except where authorized.

9. Crunk_K5_1984

Crunk_K5_1984 Registered Member

I know it sounds stupid but why is it illegal? It doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. rebelk5frk

Because the FCC says it is. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

When the FCC first allocated the 11 meter cb band it was for short distance communications. Part of the rules they set in place to ensure it was only used for short distances are they limited power output to only 4 watts or 12watts PEP for SSB They also actually have a rule that makes it illegal to talk over about 150 miles.

It was kind of dumb on their part to put such distance limits since the characteristics of the band allow for long distance contacts quite regularly even with such low power levels due to what many call "skip" That is one of the reasons the FCC has added more bands to the "cb" rules. They now have FRS (Family Radio Service) in the UHF region and MURS in the VFH region that are much better for short distance communication compared to the old "cb" band.

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I know it sounds stupid but why is it illegal? It doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Imagine that you're talking to your buddy 10 miles away, with your 250 watt linear turned on. Every time that you key the mike, you obliterate the channel you're on within at least a 50 mile radius. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif If everyone on the band was using a linear, no one would be able to talk over all the background noise. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

Here is an example of why it is illegal. I am not saying in anyway that I have this now or my dad might still have this, but he use to be an over the road truck driver. He is retired now. He had a cb and a homebase cb that he and my Mom could talk back and forth from anyplace, east coast, west coast, it didn't matter. That was great back then, in the 70's. Problem was when my Mom would key the mike at home she would screw up anyone watching TV within a 1/4 radius of the house, sometimes farther. Even people that had cable, messed up the tv screen until she stopped talking. My parents only used it so my Mom would know when to expect my Dad back home. They never got caught ever though I know the police knew it was my Mom that caused the problems all the time. Only house within eye distance that had a 50' tower connected to the side of the house.

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Cops wouldn't be able to do anything about it anyways, only the FCC. I had a nieghbor back in Omaha that called the cops on me almost everyday. The looney old b*tch thought I was stealing her phone service becouse she could hear me on her El Cheapo cordless phone. The cops would have to respond to the call, but when they'd come to my house, I'd offer them something to drink like Pepsi or Mountin Dew (I don't drink coffee) and we'd laugh about it. Sence I wasn't running any *POWER* they didn't bother the FCC about it. Looney tunes called the FCC, they camer out once, did a test reading on my output, and told her I was 100% leagle. She had a major sh*t fit over that. After seeing what I had to put up with, the FCC guy told me to get a linear to really piss her off. He said once they come out and nothing wrong is found, that they'll never come out again.

14. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Years ago, the 11 meter band belonged to the Amateur Radio spectrum. The FCC re-allocated the 11M band to short distance, low power usage. Years ago you had to get a CB license from the FCC, now anybody can use CB. As it was mentioned, CB is "Channelized" Running power usually isnt the problem with "splatter" across the band, its over modulation and dirty signals that cause lots of problems.
    The second harmonic of 27 MHz is 54MHz and thats where alot of the local television stations operate at. Things are better now with cable and dish systems.
    Only the FCC can enforce violations of operations. Most Hams dont complain too much about 11 meters cuz it keeps all the BS confined to that band. The thing that pisses us off is when they start modifying radios to work in AM or SSB mode in the 10M CW band. This is a major problem now days with So. America stations and Truckers.
    If you want to talk long distance, with good voice quality, with lots of power, get your Ham license.
    I actually still use CB in my truck when camping of 4 wheeling cuz you can talk to "local" people.

15. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Cops wouldn't be able to do anything about it anyways, only the FCC.

[/ QUOTE ]

The cops can now enforce the FCC regulations if they know what they are doing .... check it

http://www.radiotech.org/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=8594

[/ QUOTE ] Wouldn't they need special equipment to determen if something is in violation ??? With the budjet of most PD's, I serously doubt they'd have the equipment to be able to tell if your running power or not. I know I would never mount a linear in plain view. Besides, there is nothing illeagle about owning a linear, only transmitting with one on 11 meter. They'd have to be able too prove it was turned on while you're transmitting befor they could do anything about it.

17. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Actually, local authorities can enforce Interference complaints from 11 Meters "CB" operations.
    Read the highlights here:
    http://www.angelfire.com/wi/citizensband/law.html

The one thing that really bugs me about Illegal CB operations is the modified radios that transmit ABOVE 28 Mhz in the Amateur 10M band /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

18. rebelk5frk

[ QUOTE ]
    Besides, there is nothing illeagle about owning a linear

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not true at all. If you are not a licensed amatuer radio operator you cannot even have an amplifier unless it is type accepted. (FYI: no amp that works on 11meter cb band is type accepted)

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Besides, there is nothing illeagle about owning a linear

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not true at all. If you are not a licensed amatuer radio operator you cannot even have an amplifier unless it is type accepted. (FYI: no amp that works on 11meter cb band is type accepted)

[/ QUOTE ] If they're illeagle to own, then why can you buy them on the internet ??? I've never seen any laws saying they're illeagle to own, only laws regaurding leagle power output for 11 meter. Now I'm not trying too say it's leagle to use them on a CB, but I don't see any law about owning one. By the way, I don't own one myself, but have in the past.

20. rebelk5frk

They can be bought online yes.... but they still aren't legal.
    Technically, all of the online places that are selling them are breaking the law. They try to get around it by saying they are for "export" only.

(Disclaimer: I'm not judging right or wrong or what I use or don't use... just stating what I know.)

Here's a little info.
    Part 95 rule 11:
    {C} The FCC will presume you have used a linear or other external [RF] power amplifier if-
    [1] It is in your possession or on your premises; and
    [2] There is OTHER EVIDENCE that you have operated your CB station with more power than allowed by CB Rule 10.

In 1978, the FCC banned the manufacture and sale of any external RF amplifier or amplifier kit capable of operating below 144 MHz without a grant of certification from the FCC. The rules specifically prohibit manufacture and sale of amps that operate between 24 and 35 MHz as a means to stem the flow of illegal Citizens Band amplifiers

§2.815(c) of the FCC's rules requires all external RF power amplifier kits that can operate below 144 MHz after assembly be FCC-certificated before they can be made, sold, leased, marketed, imported, shipped or distributed

Any and all marketing of external RF power amplifiers or amplifier kits capable of operation below 144 MHz must be in strict compliance with §2.815 of the Commission's rules

§97.313 Transmitter power standards.
    (a) An amateur station must use the minimum transmitter power necessary to carry out the desired communications.

(b) No station may transmit with a transmitter power exceeding 1.5 kW PEP.

(c) No station may transmit with a transmitter power exceeding 200 W PEP on:

(1) The 3.675-3.725 MHz, 7.10-7.15 MHz, 10.10-10.15 MHz and 21.1-21.2 MHz segments;
    (2) The 28.1-28.5 MHz segment when the control operator is a Novice Class operator or a Technician Class operator who has received credit for proficiency in telegraphy in accordance with the international requirements; or

(3) The 7.050-7.075 MHz segment when the station is within ITU Regions 1 or 3.

(d) No station may transmit with a transmitter power exceeding 25 W PEP on the VHF 1.25 m band when the control operator is a Novice operator.

(e) No station may transmit with a transmitter power exceeding 5 W PEP on the UHF 23 cm band when the control operator is a Novice operator.

(f) No station may transmit with a transmitter power exceeding 50 W PEP on the UHF 70 cm band from an area specified in footnote US7 to §2.106 of the FCC Rules, unless expressly authorized by the FCC after mutual agreement, on a case-by-case basis, between the EIC of the applicable field facility and the military area frequency coordinator at the applicable military base. An Earth station or telecommand station, however, may transmit on the 435-438 MHz segment with a maximum of 611 W effective radiated power (1 kW equivalent isotropically radiated power) without the authorization otherwise required. The transmitting antenna elevation angle between the lower half-power (-3 dB relative to the peak or antenna bore sight) point and the horizon must always be greater than 10°.

(g) No station may transmit with a transmitter power exceeding 50 W PEP on the 33 cm band from within 241 km of the boundaries of the White Sands Missile Range. Its boundaries are those portions of Texas and New Mexico bounded on the south by latitude 31° 41' North, on the east by longitude 104° 11' West, on the north by latitude 34° 30' North, and on the west by longitude 107° 30' West.

(h) No station may transmit with a transmitter power exceeding 50 W PEP on the 219-220 MHz segment of the 1.25 m band.

§97.315 Certification of external RF power amplifiers.
    (a) No more than 1 unit of 1 model of an external RF power amplifier capable of operation below 144 MHz may be constructed or modified during any calendar year by an amateur operator for use at a station without a grant of certification. No amplifier capable of operation below 144 MHz may be constructed or modified by a non-amateur operator without a grant of certification from the FCC.

(b) Any external RF power amplifier or external RF power amplifier kit (see §2.815 of the FCC Rules), manufactured, imported or modified for use in a station or attached at any station must be certificated for use in the amateur service in accordance with Subpart J of Part 2 of the FCC Rules. This requirement does not apply if one or more of the following conditions are met:

(1) The amplifier is not capable of operation on frequencies below 144 MHz. For the purpose of this part, an amplifier will be deemed to be incapable of operation below 144 MHz if it is not capable of being easily modified to increase its amplification characteristics below 120 MHz and either:

(i) The mean output power of the amplifier decreases, as frequency decreases from 144 MHz, to a point where 0 dB or less gain is exhibited at 120 MHz; or
    (ii) The amplifier is not capable of amplifying signals below 120 MHz even for brief periods without sustaining permanent damage to its amplification circuitry.

(2) The amplifier was manufactured before April 28, 1978, and has been issued a marketing waiver by the FCC, or the amplifier was purchased before April 28, 1978, by an amateur operator for use at that amateur operator's station.

(3) The amplifier was:

(i) Constructed by the licensee, not from an external RF power amplifier kit, for use at the licensee's station; or
    (ii) Modified by the licensee for use at the licensee's station.

(4) The amplifier is sold by an amateur operator to another amateur operator or to a dealer.

(5) The amplifier is purchased in used condition by an equipment dealer from an amateur operator and the amplifier is further sold to another amateur operator for use at that operator's station.

(c) Any external RF power amplifier appearing in the Commission's database as certificated for use in the amateur service may be marketed for use in the amateur service.

§97.317 Standards for certification of external RF power amplifiers.
    (a) To receive a grant of certification, the amplifier must satisfy the spurious emission standards of §97.307(d) or (e) of this Part, as applicable, when the amplifier is:

(1) Operated at its full output power;
    (2) Placed in the "standby" or "off" positions, but still connected to the transmitter; and

(3) Driven with at least 50 W mean RF input power (unless higher drive level is specified).

(b) To receive a grant of certification, the amplifier must not be capable of operation on any frequency or frequencies between 24 MHz and 35 MHz. The amplifier will be deemed incapable of such operation if it:

(1) Exhibits no more than 6 dB gain between 24 MHz and 26 MHz and between 28 MHz and 35 MHz. (This gain will be determined by the ratio of the input RF driving signal (mean power measurement) to the mean RF output power of the amplifier); and
    (2) Exhibits no amplification (0 dB gain) between 26 MHz and 28 MHz.

(c) Certification may be denied when denial would prevent the use of these amplifiers in services other than the amateur service. The following features will result in dismissal or denial of an application for certification:

(1) Any accessible wiring which, when altered, would permit operation of the amplifier in a manner contrary to the FCC Rules;
    (2) Circuit boards or similar circuitry to facilitate the addition of components to change the amplifier's operating characteristics in a manner contrary to the FCC Rules;

(3) Instructions for operation or modification of the amplifier in a manner contrary to the FCC Rules;

(4) Any internal or external controls or adjustments to facilitate operation of the amplifier in a manner contrary to the FCC Rules;

(5) Any internal RF sensing circuitry or any external switch, the purpose of which is to place the amplifier in the transmit mode;

(6) The incorporation of more gain in the amplifier than is necessary to operate in the amateur service; for purposes of this paragraph, the amplifier must:

(i) Not be capable of achieving designed output power when driven with less than 40 W mean RF input power;
    (ii) Not be capable of amplifying the input RF driving signal by more than 15 dB, unless the amplifier has a designed transmitter power of less than 1.5 kW (in such a case, gain must be reduced by the same number of dB as the transmitter power relationship to 1.5 kW; This gain limitation is determined by the ratio of the input RF driving signal to the RF output power of the amplifier where both signals are expressed in peak envelope power or mean power);

(iii) Not exhibit more gain than permitted by paragraph (c)(6)(ii) of this Section when driven by an RF input signal of less than 50 W mean power; and

(iv) Be capable of sustained operation at its designed power level.

(7) Any attenuation in the input of the amplifier which, when removed or modified, would permit the amplifier to function at its designed transmitter power when driven by an RF frequency input signal of less than 50 W mean power; or

(8) Any other features designed to facilitate operation in a telecommunication service other than the Amateur Radio Services, such as the Citizens Band (CB) Radio Service.