Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can a lift pump leak, not at a hose?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by rich, Mar 15, 2007.

1. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

I noticed fuel leaking out of my 6.2 today. I thought it was the inlet hose to the mechanical (block mounted) lift pump, even though the hose itself was not wet. I tried to tighten the clamps but one stripped out. After replacing both clamps, it is still leaking, and definitely not from the hose.

The body of the pump is wet and drips of fuel continually form on it. Can the pump itself leak, not from a hose connection? I can't see where it would be coming out of the pump, but at the same time, I can't see any other place the fuel could be coming from. I can't see anything that could be leaking this fuel onto the pump. It is not coming from the hoses, it is actually on the round part of the pump *above* the hoses.

I just want to make sure before I pull the pump that it's really the pump leaking, and not something else.

2. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

Well im not sure if its possible for them to leak but mine was doing the exact same thing you are describing. I just went and bought a new one. Good luck reinstalling it though.

3. ccatlett1984

ccatlett1984 1/2 ton status

Mine was leaking in between the two pressed halves of the lift pump, and FYI replacing it is a PITA. you will want to slap some HEAVY grease on the shaft that the pump rides on, BEFORE IT FALLS ALL THE WAY DOWN!!!!! if you dont, you will have to remove the plate thats bolted to the block to get it back up. :duh:

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

If a hose is leaking, tightening up or replacing the clamps alone won't fix it. You need to pull the hose off and trim it back to good hose again or replace the hose.