Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can a person have a drivers license in more than one state?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mofugly13, Mar 25, 2007.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

My brother is down from Oregon, he doesn't know if he's going to stay or not, but wants to try and get into the electrical union. Only problem is he needs a CA license to do it, but he is unwilling to give up his OR license. When he moved to OR, he had to show 6 mos. proof of residency and relinquish his Ca. license. From what I can tell from the CA DMV site, all he has to do for a Ca. license is fill out the appropriate paperwork and they give him one. It says nothing about giving up his OR DL. I think OR requires proof of residency so that CA doods dont go up there and get a DL and then buy guns over the counter and bring them back into CA. Anywho, is it legal to hold driver's licenses in two or more states?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

id like to know also, but i don't think so, they told me here that if i get my license here, they will take away my Cali license

3. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

No they won't let you do that.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You can legally only hold a license in one state at any given time.

5. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Like said above, only one state at a time. You can only officially reside in one state, and can only legally hold a DL form the state of your residence. Generally they check for previous DL's when you go in for a new one, unless you are 16 I suppose.

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Legally, no.

Possible, as for as I know yes, depending on if the state is a member of the interstate compact if I have my name right.

As a matter of fact, at one time I possessed valid DL's from OK and CA. Now, the state checks that stuff pretty hard and what will happen the state that you are applying for will check you for any other licenses held and once they issue you a license, they will have the other state invalidate that license.

7. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

You CAN however posess a driver's license from another country. Mine expired though, no more freebie speeding tickets.

8. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

last i heard OHIO was still out of that program.thats why they started the CDL thing years ago. truckers with different states to hand over,depending on where they were pulled over.roll on 18 wheeler!:woot: :haha:

9. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

:haha: :haha: what country did you have your license from??

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

That all depends............................

In Oklahoma, if your residency is within the country, then you have to possess a state issued license. The foreign license is as good as possessing no driver's license and that right there is a jailable offense.:wink1:

11. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

When I got my WA they punched my old CA one.I guess that's how people tell if it's voided.

I still have another one though.. :p:

12. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Even though you might have a valid license from another country it isn't valid in this country. A drivers license issued in any of the 50 states will allow you to legally drive in any of the 50 states though. Obviously you must obey any rules in the state in which you are driving at the moment but the state can't enforce certain things such as window tint, lift laws and so forth from there state against you if it's legal in your residing state.

13. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Because he has a CDL he can only hold one license at a time. The CDL and passenger car must be from the same state. The fine is supposed to be really ugly and you can get jail time too.....
    George

14. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

My bad, when I said CDL I meant Ca. Drivers License, not commercial.

15. justiz00

justiz00 Registered Member

In Texas you dont have to correct your address if you are a College student, traveling salesman or others who dont live at a "permanent residence". I went through it when in school. If he is going into the apprenticeship program he may be able to swing it as a trade "school" program (5 years). I dont know the laws theres so this is just my two cents.

16. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Tell you buddy that if he comes back to Oregon he gets the same DL number as he had before. I was gone for 5 years to Ohio, and when I came back they gave me the same ODL number I had before. AND... if he has any endorsements, make sure he gets them transferred to his CA license, or when he gets back they will no longer be valid. I had a Motorcycle endorsement but didn't get it on my OH license so when I came back to OR they did not honor the old Motorcycle endorsement.