Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can a sticking starter....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willyswanter, Dec 15, 2003.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Stall a big block? A few months ago I went through some muddy water and ever since my starter solenoid has been acting up, same thing that happens everytime I go through mud... Main reason I hate mud... Anyway, it was not engaging but on the 2nd or 3rd try it would and the truck would fire right up.

Now yesterday, I get in and hit the key and it grinds, ok let off and try it again, it engages and cranks fine and truck starts but I let off the key and the truck bogs way down but it does keep running but it's at like 100rpm and I can feel every cylinder fire and after a few seconds I just turn it off cause that just aint right!

I try it again and it starts right up but does the same thing but only does it for like 3 seconds and it runs absolutely perfect.

Could this be the starter staying engaged on the flex plate and the engine having to try and turn the starter while idling?

The truck starts right up within 1/2 second of cranking no matter what always, and this just started yesterday at the same time as my not engaging starter problems and I can't see it being an enging problem all the sudden... That things runs like it's brand new, well, once it gets started /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well apparently it does since I just put a new starter on and it's back to normal, thanks for all the help /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

very welcome /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

glad i could be of ASSIStance...