Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can a winch be mounted vertically?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Jan 17, 2002.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I have seen them mounted horizontally to a plate on the lower part of a bumper, and There is a winch bumper on ebay that has winch mounted to the front or vertical part of the bumper. This would be ideal for me. Can all winches be mounted this way?
    Thanks
    Brent

2. Glock Girl

Glock Girl Registered Member

There use to be a winch called the "sidewinder" same principle. Its biggest downfall was that gravity had a tendicy to pull the cable down to the bottom of the spool all the time bunching it up. I would think you would have a simmilar problem. If the winch had a oil bath gear box it probably would not lubricate well either.

Shelby
    88 K5

3. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Do you mean like this: []

or like this == ?

The way most winches mount is with four bolts through the bottom in a rectangular pattern. This type of winch could be mounted just about however you want. Other winches have bolts that go through the bumper into the front of the winch (Warn 8274, M15000) so these have to go behind the bumper.

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

It would still be mounted like this

==

But instead of being bolted to the bottom plate it would be mounted to the front of the bumper
    brent

5. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that's what I thought you meant. Yeah, you can do it. Any of the planetary winches under 10K lbs will be able to do this, and they use grease for lube anyways.

What will you do to protect the winch from trail obstacles or collision?

6. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

my winch cant, i have the spur gear driven warn 8274, and all the oil would leak out the free spool lever hole

beligerence doesn't justify intelligence.
    <font color=blue>wheelers hate posers.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>79k15/400/700r4/205/38.5</font color=red>

7. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

you mis understand the question ryan. Your winch ALREADY mounts like that, thats how it has to mount. against the vertical front of the bumper. (or in your case the winchbox.)

-matt
    <font color=purple> "Stuff's only good for 2 things, degreasing engines and killing brain cells"</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</a>