Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can all 6 lugs on one wheel come off at the same time, or...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Lotsa_Faith, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

Or is somebody messing with my truck? I rotated my tires about a week ago, and 3 days ago i went around and made sure all the lugs were still tight. Today i noticed that the tires seemed a little louder than usual, but thought nothing of it. Then going down a two lane road i start to brake and my truck veers HARD right into the ditch...pull it up and onto a side street and the wheel is off the lugs sitting on the hub. What do you think? i really got lucky cause if the wheel would have came off I would have been sent 50 mph head on into someone else.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Mag wheels need to be checked often for coming loose. If the wheel came loose in the past the wheel may have been damaged which allowed it to come loose now. You need to take a good look at the lug nut seat area of the wheel to see if it is egg shaped or if it looks fairly round and true. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

There are many possibilities; some of which include someone tampering with your lug nuts, improper lug nut for your wheel (wrong taper or lack thereof) or under tightening. Another possibility is previously over tightening the lug nut, distorting the stud’s threads and reducing the lug nut’s contact/friction surface. Then, later on, the lug nut is properly torqued but the weakened, distorted threads and reduced friction surface is insufficient to keep the nut tight.
    It’s important not only properly torque your lug nuts, but to check them periodically. When running new wheels (particularly aluminum), new lug nuts and/or new studs it’s especially important to check your torque after driving them for the first few miles.

4. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Ia've had 8 come off all in the same place once. Retorque those babies /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

so i guess it wasnt someone who doesnt like me trying to get back at me...didnt plan on spending my last week of summer working on the truck but oh well