Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can antifreeze go bad in the bottle?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Feb 17, 2000
    I was at a garage sale the other day. A guy had some 4 litre jugs of antifreeze sitting on a shelf and I asked him(jokingly) if they were for sale. Well, to make a long story short, I walked out of there with 2 full and 2 almost full jugs of coolant for $1. I'm willing to bet that all the jugs are a couple of years old.

The two open jugs look to be pure antifreeze. It looks and smells ok, but can coolant breakdown over time?

What about the sealed bottles? Is there a shelf life I should be aware of?

Sorry for the dumb question, but I don't believe this has ever come up before.
  2. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Sep 28, 2002
    I am no mechanic, and this is only my experience...But I had antifreeze for several years in the past and had no problems when using it. The opened bottles I'd think twice about, but if were me and my Blazer, Id use the sealed ones.
    Good Luck, and nice score! Sold for a dolla! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif