Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can anybody help me identify this aftermarket a/c system?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uao85, Jun 17, 2006.

1. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Hey guys I just found an aftermarket a/c system in a truck at a local salvage yard and wanted to know if you guys could help me identify it. Its an aftermarket kit for a non a/c chevy truck from 81-87(came out of an 86) and is a seperate system then the heater system so they dont have any common vents, and its completely tucked up under the dash behind and above the glove boc. It also has its own built in squirrel fan like the fans mounted in the firewall for heater and a/c applications. Here are some pictures to help out, and the pic of the tag on it didnt come out too well so here is the info written on it.
    [​IMG]
    ARA Manufacturing Co.
    Grand Prairie, Tx
    Serial No. 884340
    Unit No. 0507928
    Mfg Date. 8068 ??kinda weird dont know what the number means

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and on the fan this is written on the inside of it on the fan blade assembly itself.

Cary Products 894
    Hutchins, Tx

Well I have tried searching for a while but havent come up with anything useful and concrete. So any information you guys could scrounge up would be awesome.

Regards,
    Remington

2. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I got this for you.

http://www.biblio.com/books/31956646.html
    Service Manual for All Makes of Independent & Factory Automotive Air-Conditioning by Draf Tools Co

Format: Paperback
    Book condition: Good+
    Jacket condition: No Jacket

Grand Prarie, Texas: A-R-A Manufacturing Co., 1973. The book is in Good+ condition, with no writing inside from previous owners. The pages are clean and tight. There is minor wear to the cover of the book. . Paperback. Good+/No Jacket. 4to - over 9¾" - 12" Tall.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    R. Duffy Booksellers
    903 Fosythe Lane
    Houston, Texas
    77073 United States
    Phone: (800)699-9213
    http://www.duffybooks.com
    Email:
    jon@duffybooks.com

Seller's item number:
    [FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]008014 [/FONT]

[SIZE=+1]Electric actuator for automotive air conditioning systems[/SIZE]Document:United States Patent 4818924Abstract:An electric actuator apparatus particularly suitable for use as part of an automotive air conditioning system. The apparatus uses a direct current motor to drive a final output element in accordance with an input voltage signal. The apparatus is inherently protected against stalled conditions and no limit switches are required. The apparatus is self-adapting to different physical environments which define the range of travel of the final output element. The apparatus may be operated as a two-position actuator or, with the addition of a feedback signal corresponding to the postion of the final output element, may be operated as an infinite position or multi-position actuator

Call directory assistance for Grand Prarie, Texas and ask for a phone number. That is the best I can do for you after searchin for an hour.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Thats the same one that I found under the dash of my 77 . I gave what was left of it away . The 77 was wearing a 80's front clip before I got it .

4. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

5. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

thats the same system I had in my k5... I sold it to another member,, they are pretty common as aftermarkets go... they are weak on the cooling ,,, small sandon compressor etc.. I was never happy with it,, but I live in a hot california climate

Canmore has a factory system I pulled out of my 89.. vents and everything.. you might see what he wants for it.. I dont believe hes going to keep it with the truck i sold him
    The factory system is WAY WAY nicer

6. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

I would convert to a factory system, but the dual battery tray in my cucv is right in the way of where the a/c box would go. I really dont want to hack up the firewall and take everything apart to get to it. Plus I am thinking I can take the hacked up end of hose I got with the system and a gm compressor up to a local hydraulic shop to have them make up a set of custom hoses, and then put another stronger fan in place of the one it has. I live in Texas, it gets freaking hot here as well and dont really enjoy sweating, but its not completely unbearable. I usually just use the a/c on low in my Taco..............hmmmmm this is a pickle. Are there any writeups out there about converting a non a/c truck to a/c?? Thanks for all the replys so far...greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Remington

7. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

you should still be able to get the manual from ara.. they are still around when I was looking for parts for mine

8. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

hey cam thanks for the replys and help so far. Last question, do you know of a website where I can order a parts catalog or something along those lines? I tried finding a company website, but all I came up with was a company called acme who aparently bought out the automotive a/c division in 91.

Remington