Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can anybody tell me what those parts are?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JHG, Jul 26, 2005.

1. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

I am in a middle of putting a 6.2 liter Diesel engine in my 81 K5. The engine came from a Navy vehicle wich was used to tow airplanes (with ultra low gearing).

[​IMG]

I have taken out the old harness for my carburated 350 and lot of the wires where not connected to anything (was probably connected to some smog stuff or the AC wich has been removed long before I got the truck).

Now I am trying to clean out my engine bay was wondering what this is:

1: [​IMG]

I have the harness from the navy vehicle but am not sure what everything is (even though I have my guesses). It would be great if someone could clear that out for me (both on the top of the stearing tube).

2: [​IMG]
    3: [​IMG]

Even though I am not sure, I think this is not from GM. My guess is it was put in when they converted the truck to this machine.
    4: [​IMG]

Somebody have cut this thing I dont have the slightest idea what it was connected to:

5: http://www.f4x4.is/new/photoalbum/?file=cars/3734/24622

And last, this was in my K5 and I think its connected to the interior lights.

6: [​IMG]

It would be great if anybody knows anything about those items,

thanks, Jon H.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

24618 no idea
    24619 is the headlight dimmer switch.
    24620 is the ignition switch
    24621 is the convenience center, runs horns, interior lights, key in ignition buzzer etc IIRC.
    24622 looks almost like the wiper wiring. I know I've seen it somewhere. Might be the diesel specific lighting stuff? (water in fuel, wait, etc)
    24623 no idea, I think the window/door lock relays are metal cased.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

26418 i see mounted to top part of firewall under hood on gas trucks too, all the time in the 80-up EST system years

something to do with the tranny i believe

4. dyeager535

I almost said it's the vacuum switch for 700/350C trucks, but I thought those only had one nipple, and it was barbed?

5. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

I was guessing that to. I forgot to state that thing was in my K5 before, but I dont know if it was also in the Diesel machine (I am almost sure its not needed after I convert to the Diesel).

6. dyeager535

Well, you need something to tell it to unlock the TCC under load, (gas used decrease in engine vacuum to unlock it) but no idea how a diesel would have handled that.

7. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

I bought the transmission from that truck also, its a TH400 and I am 99% sure its a non lock up.

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

headlight dimmer is for colom style where you click it on the wiper/turn arm.

9. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

I cant use it because my 1981 K5 doesnt have that stuff. So I dont need to worry about that :)

10. dyeager535

If you got the column, use it, that is a better design. Truck floors get wet a lot, wet+metal=corrosion, eventually it might end up like mine, shorting out and making a lot of hard to drive through smoke. :)

No TH400 lockup, the kickdown is handled electrically, but that is by a switch mounted to the gas pedal, not vacuum.

11. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

No I didnt get the column with it so I plan to stick with the old column.

I did put bracket for the kickdown but havent connected it yet. I havent seen the plug in the harness so I probably have to wire it my self. Does anybody know how it should be wired? I was guessing it was + in on connector and a wire to the transmission in the other.

I have some books about the diesel engine but it only covers the basics (its not a swappers guide).

Thanks for all the info you have given me, its been a great help :bow: