Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can anyone answer this puzzling question....

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Donna, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

I'm jhoping some one can answer this. I'm posting it here because the problem is driving me crazy and I'm sure that Wayne hasn't thought to ask. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Anyway....the "idiot" light in my dash for my emergency brake kleeps coming on. WHY??? Wayne has checked it and can't find anything. The ebrake works too. It doesn't do it all the time. Just if the vehicle is going up hill or around curves. WHY???? It's driving me crazy. Anyone have any clues?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The switch may actually be going bad...there is a spring inside the switch that returns it to the normal position and so when your going uphills or around corners it is thinking that the ebrake is on. Only reason I say this is because I had this happen to me right after I bought my burb. Hope this helps.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah, Same thing happened to me. I unhooked the switch.

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

try adding brake fluid. The e-brake light will come on if you are low on brake fluid. The e-brake switch and the low brake fluid switch use the same light.

Dan

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Could be a number of things.
    There is a switch on the foot pedal for the parking brake. If the foot pedal does not come all the way up, or moves when going up hills, cornering, etc., it may cause the light to come on. The switch could also be faulty or bent.
    The light will also come on if you are low on brake fluid in either the front or rear (or both), and it may come on before you even feel you are low with the pedal. My buddy had to replace his proportioning valve with a new one because the sensor went bad. The sensor for low fluid (actually senses a pressure differential between front and rear) is located in the proportioning valve up on the front crossmember. He could not find just the sensor/switch (I have been told you can get them, but never tried myself) and he just ended up ordering a new prop valve from www.inlinetube.com. Hope this helps.

6. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

The brake fluid has all ready been checked....Like I said, the light comes on only when turning really hard turns or up hills. I'll have wayne check the switch thing though. thanks guy's.