Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can anyone decode HEI part numbers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigBen, Jun 27, 2006.

1. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm going to send my HEI in to get rebuilt and figured I'd write down the numbers to see if MSD sends my actual housing, etc. back..... :)

As I was writing them down, I started to wonder where this Distributor came from. The PO swapped it into my '74 long before I bought it.

Stamped on the main housing (largest diameter) are stamped numbers

1112880 5014

Down where the housing sits in the manifold is stamped
    J2

The advance weight mounting plate has 126 on it.
    The weights themselves had 130 stamped on them.

About the only thing I can track down is that it looks like 1112880 means a distributor out of a '75 4bbl engine.....

Anybody know anything more about these?:confused:

Thanks,

-Ben

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Maybe..

I have an old Ac-Delco tune up spec book that lists distributors by the numbers,but all it tells you is if its from a car or truck,and what size motor and carb--(and you already know that!)...

The only other stuff it tells is the amount of vacuum advance it has at a given rpm,at a given number of inches of vacuum..thats about it..if you need to know, I can look it up and post back later tonight with the details--I'd do it now,but the book is in my garage,and I'm not there at the moment!...:crazy:

3. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It would be cool to know where it came from, but you're right that the specs won't make a difference once I change all the guts.

I just found out that the Tech Rep at MSD and I had a misunderstainding... they only rebuild MSD distributors, they don't work on GM ones.

Long story short, I'm looking for parts for this one so I can rebuild it myself. (more fun that way anyway). The pins on the advance plate are my biggest problem right now They're worn to the point that I'm afraid bushings won't last.

-Ben

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

junkyard time...

You can get a complete HEI around here from a junkyard for 25-30 bucks,cap,coil,wires and all!...its getting harder to find the older ones with vacuum advance though..since the "crushathon" began earlier this year when scrap prices shot up over 100 bucks a ton,nearly everything older than 1985 or so is long gone..:( ....might not be the case in your area though..:crazy: