Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can anyone get a Dana 60 Detroit for under $500?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, Jan 7, 2002.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I am trying to get the best price for a Detroit for my new Dana 60 front. I think I can get it from a local place somewhere in the very high $400s.

Anyone?

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The only "cheap" Detroit Locker that I know of is for the 14-bolt. (Relatively speaking). Since it doesn't come with a new case, it costs less than the other Detroit Lockers. Once you start looking at the DL's that come with a full case, then suddenly the ARB doesn't look so expensive [​IMG], though the DL is much more reliable.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Actaully, I dont think that $489 or so is all that high, considering that for a 14 bolt it will run you in the mid $300s.

It is a lot of money, but I still dont like any of the air actuated or electric or even the mechanical ones.

But this is a trail rig, not a street truck. If I didnt already have the rear Detroit I would have just welded it. But, I dont want to the weld the front. So, here comes the Detroit.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

4. HarryH3

You can still find the DL for 14-bolts for right around $300. Just saw an ad in one of the 4-wheeler mags for $309. I agree about the reliability of the ARB and the like, but the ability to switch it off is pretty handy in places like Moab. Driving on those sandpaper covered rocks can make it pretty hard to turn with a DL up front. [​IMG]

BTW, the dreaded 4-Wheel Parts [​IMG] lists the Dana 60 DL for $513.95. Subtract our 10% members discount and that gets the price down to $462.55. Add shipping though and it's probably back up close to the price your local place is charging.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>

5. HarryH3

Just noticed that 4-Wheel Parts is offering Free Shipping through the 11th. [​IMG]