Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can anyone help out a Newbie with hardtop removal tips?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 69CedarHillK5, Apr 13, 2006.

1. 69CedarHillK5

69CedarHillK5 Newbie

First of all - I have searched the site - and am only getting hits on halftop removals - so please help if you can.

I just bought a 69 K5 and need to know if anyone has any tips on removing the hard top. Is this a 2 person job? How heavy is the top?

I am also assuming that there are rear bolts that need to be removed, and was wondering if anyone could point out the location. I thought there would be access panels for the rear bolts, but don't see any.

We are planning on pretty much permanently removing the hardtop and getting a soft top. Any and all recommendations/tips/etc would be greatly appreciated.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Welcome
    Sounds like you may ave a double wall top if you can't see the bolts.
    I have never delt with a double wall before but my single wall top had all the bolts visalbe so it was just a matter of removing them and then getting help to lift it off..they are not light so have a friend on hand to help.

3. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

you need more than a friend, you need like four people to remove it easily, a friend of mine and I did it once and it almost killed us. By the way welcome to the first gen world.

4. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    :haha: same here...first time i took off my top with one buddy we almost crapped ourselves when all the weight came down & we couldn't drop it b/c it had a fresh coat of paint...:doah:

69cedarhillk5, welcome to the site, maybe i'll see you around some time in TX, i hail from the same best damn state as you...:D . as for the top, it probably is a double wall like Burt said. it's not hard to take off, just look for all the bolts and voila!...it's a bit of a hassle, make sure you have somewhere to park it where you can take it off for like a couple of weeks to make it worth the effort and keep out from bad weather...post up some pics of your 69er :eek1:

5. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

It should be pretty straight forward as far as the bolts go. This is from memory so bear with me.
    1. Starting at the front corners, there are some bolts that bolt the sun visors to the windshield frame as well as the top, and those got to go.
    2. More towards the center of the windshield frame, there shold be one bracket on each side that bolts the top to the frame.
    3. Moving towards the back, on the underside of the bedrails there are quite a few bolts running the length of the entire thing on either side (be careful with these, I sheered a bunch off).
    4. At the very back on each side, there is a little bracket type thing that is built into the top that hangs a little lower than the bedrails (this is the only part of the top that hangs lower than the bedrails, and should be visible from anywhere). One bolt on each side of the car.

I think you could get it off with two people, but it is really tough. Some people have some sort of pulley contraption so they can do it by themselves. If you can get four people, you will be a lot happier.

Welcome to the board!

6. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the board, sounds like the other guys have you set on where the bolts are. Get some pics post when you can of your K5!

7. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

Just remember that if it isn't a first gen its just a bad copy.

8. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I counted the bolts-16!!!! I do my removal with 3 people, 1 in the front, inside, and 1 on each outside corner. Just walk it straight back onto some sawhorses. BTW, my owners manual says reduce load capacity by 200#, if equipped with hardtop. Sounds to me like they think it only weighs 200????

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Heed the advice to look for ALL the bolts....

Everyone seems to forget that there's a lot more holding the top on than just the bedrail bolts.....

Windshield frame (in the visor brackets, and near the rear view mirror)
    Bedside bolts (plenty)
    Rear Tailgate area plates (if they still exist)

Lift gently and feel for resistance...if you feel some, STOP and keep looking for bolts. If the top's never been off the gaskets make be sticking too.

You can use small scraps of 2x4 to hold up the rear corners as you look underneath for other mounting hardware.

FINALLY:

Follow this link to my photo gallery and the famous "Pulleys from Hell" images!

http://www.norcalbigdawgs.net/Gallery/album70

Sample:

[​IMG]