Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can anyone help with carb's?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cheyennek20, Mar 1, 2007.

1. cheyennek20

cheyennek20 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to find out if anyone modifies Demon or Holley double-pumpers for off road use. Is the spring loaded needle and seat the only thing that allows it to work on angles and rough ground or is something in the metering block or its design a contributor? Any parts or info might help!

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

There is a lot more to it than the spring loaded needle. It has to do with where the fuel bowl is located, how the vents are run, etc. You will never be happy with a Demon or double pumper off road. IMO (and most of CK5's), a Q-jet is the best carb offroad. If that isn't capable of making the power you need, big money fuel injection is the only thing that will work.

3. cheyennek20

cheyennek20 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I am probably going to go with EFI eventually, but I was looking for a quick fix for some of it without ruining the carb. It'll work on my Chevelle right nice.

4. kirkallen143

kirkallen143 Registered Member

First post here, you can do a couple of things: They have 0.097" needles and seats for off road (have never used them, maybe spring loaded?), a vent extention for the metering block, some even come with a spring on the float.
    You can lower your float, lower your fuel psi down to @ 3 or 4, it is also better to use a side hung float on V8's rather than the center hung. You can extend your main body bowl vent tubes with 5/16" hard brake line and bend in a 90* (when wheelin' around that is where most of your typical flooding comes from). Or, make it like the holley truck advengers and connect the two vent together with breather holes atop. Jet extensions is another one. All this is if you want the challenge of keeping a holley for offroad. These are what I know of, good luck.

Kirk