Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can anyone here help me with a sorta D@dge/F#@d question??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brian 89KBlazer, May 2, 2000.

1. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

BEFORE you start telling me this is a Chevy board, read the question please!!!
    Acutally, it's just their idea but I want to use it on my '89 Blazer. On the Off-Road.com website this month is an article on a new Superduty F350 and it has an optional dual alternators. I asked for help on this a long time ago and got little response. Does anyone know how the ford/dodge dual alternator set-up is wired?? What if any electronics are involved?

Thanks
    Brian
    Still in search of the TBI KING!!

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

DISCLAIMER: I know some stuff about trucks cuz I drive one and fix it when it breaks, and I have half an electrical engineering degree, so sometimes I spout book learning and sometimes I have facts from the skool o' hard knocks (aka The Real World, Neo.)

Well, you wouldna want to just parallel the two alternators; the variance in coil windings and pully slippage and stuff would make for one to drive the other and a blown up alternator pretty quickly.

Could do dual batteries, on separate circuits, and an alternator for each battery (or bank thereof.) One battery for lights, fridge, stereo, etc, and the other for starting, onboard systems, etc ... just like you do with a battery isolator, except there's no isolator; the two systems are electrically separate.

(OK, they share the same negative side.)

Could prolly have a battery on each alternator, and connect the two systems with a high-power resistor ... big-ass wirewound, they're available, though not at Radio Shack ... or just a coil o' resistance wire or something.

The theory here being that you can trickle charge back and forth between the two systems ... but that would be if you put a heinous load (ie an electric winch) on one side, cuz it'd try to pull lots o' current through your resistor and smoke it.

Or, if you had alternators made to do that ... some kind of external voltage regulator setup, with two AC inputs from the alternators, then you could have one DC output from it to the battery/batteries. Hmm, that would be clever. Betcha that's what's done ... these are prolly not your off-the-shelf auto parts store alternators.

Uhh... how about Wrangler NW? They seem to be the $*(^@ when it comes to this sort of thing -- might check with them. (Yeah, it is www.wranglerNW.com ;-)

Okay, no real answers, but some discussion for a discussion forum. Further discussion happily welcome; flames about my (lack of) electrical engineering skills happily disregarded. ;-)

-- A

'74 K5 Blazer "Tank Grrl"
    '77 Chalet sans Blazer
    and more to come...

3. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

That's just it!! My boss is an electrical engineer and says it should just be wire each alternator to battery and go! The reason I am looking at the dual alternator is that an aftermarket high output alternator like Wrangler is $500 plus where a couple of 100amp GM reman units are dirt cheap in comparison.

Thanks anyway

Brian

4. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

Sure you want to go to all the trouble of installing two alternators Brian ? Two times the amount of things that can break down ? I run a single 160amp BOSCH alternator with 2x deep-cycle batteries on mine and it handles everything, including four 150w KC's, 9000i WARN and serious sound system. The big BOSCH is standard on the BMW 750i and even has an internal cooling fan. Check the junkyards.

BB454
    IF IT DOES NOT HAVE 8 PISTONS - IT'S BROKEN !

5. buttman

buttman Registered Member

Hey Brain, I have an Electronic Engineering degree and dremu is rite. I would also recommend a dual battery setup. Individual hookups are the ticket good luck, John