Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can anyone please help me install a Detroit locker??

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by justhorsinaround, Mar 2, 2004.

1. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Well here's the scoop. One of our fellow CK5 members is willin to sell us a Detroit with the right gears for the rear of the truck for a price that we can not really afford but am willin to stretch to make it. What I'm askin for is can anybody help me put it in the Blazer for maybe beer and food?? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif I'd just hate to buy the thing and then have to have it set in the garage forever. I don't know next to squat about this sorta stuff but I imagine that some sort of special type tools are in order. This is a plea because we want to be able to do some of the more challengin stuff but we can't as of yet. Anywho's thanks in advance and good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Allan, you have a 12bolt , right? I just bought a lockright and took Marv like 30 actual minutes to install. We spent more time talking and drinking beer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Don't know who in town can do gears at home, a Detroit requires the removal of the whole carrier. Wish you luck Allan. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Paul makes some good points....

If you have an "open" carrier, and your rear 12 bolt is in good shape already... then the easiest thing is to install a Lock Rite.

The Detroit is a better locker.... but it will cost more to install. If you wanna do it, I'd recommend saving your $$ and taking it to Brain LaBarge over at Desert Rat and paying the man to do his stuff and to have it done right....

Marv

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Ko since I'm settin down at the moment, how much does the rear end guru garner to exemplify his prowess in the installation of a detroit that is fresh comin out of another truck with all the pieces parts and what not involved, supposedly. Yea I know pretty vague but that's what I got to work with information wise. Talk to y'all again right soon and good luck in the future.

Allan