Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can Anyone Tell Me What This Is?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big jimmy 91, Apr 9, 2004.

1. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Hi guys I am posting for my hubby who is outside changing the rear axle seals in his 91 Jimmy. He pulled apart the rear diff and found this strange block like thing. I am posting the link to our webshots and it is under the topic "What's This" LOL If anyone can tell us what the heck this is that would be awesome. And by the way I'm kinda gettin into this site now too, just watching over his shoulder at some of the cool videos and stuff. Thanks lots.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/bigjimmy91

2. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

I thought axles were horizontal?? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Pics kinda fuzzy, but looks to me like some sort of homemade locker??? Anybody?

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I say it looks like a home made locker also!! Diffrent... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

4. big jimmy 91

That's is kinda what he thought too. It was an old Ministry truck so that could very well be. Thanks

5. big jimmy 91

Okay he took some more pics at different angles so maybe you can tell what it is now. He said from the front there looks to be all kinds of strange things in there. Thanks for looking. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Okay he took some more pics at different angles so maybe you can tell what it is now. He said from the front there looks to be all kinds of strange things in there. Thanks for looking. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

lol....was just crackin' on ya for postin' pics at 90 degrees. Unless he's got the truck rolled on it's side? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    I'd bet womeone was a machinist I fabbed-up a back-yard locker. Neccessity is the mother of invention ya know! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    BTW, has your wife read your sig??? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

7. big jimmy 91

LOL Ya I have read his sig.....not nice eh? LMAO Oh well no biggy. Thanks for responding so quick and just wondering what is the purpose of this lock thingy? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif (By the way I am blonde so, sorry if the question is a bit dumb.) /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

8. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

Positraction device......and don't read the blonde/misquito jk in the lounge /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. big jimmy 91

Thanks for the answer and I had to read it now that you brought it to my attention. LOL Good one! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

The pics are kinda fuzzy, but that appears to be a Gov-lok. That is the infamous traction adding device used after GM quit using the "posi" or limited slip. There are quite a few people here on CK5 that have grenaded the factory Gov-lok. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Look for option code G80 on the glove box label. If you find it, then it is no doubt a Gov-lok. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. big jimmy 91

Thanks for your quick response and does a gov-loc require a friction modifier added to the oil? What a strange looking thing, I guess it could be a gov-loc since it was a gov truck! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

digital cameras have a hard time focusing that close, especially in low light. Looks to be just two blurry shots repeated over and over. From what I can see, it is a Gov-lock. You can see the governor in some of the later pictures.

13. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Some say run modifiers, some say don't. I used 85w140 in mine. Mine made pop noises ever since I owned it. It blew up bad. I always thought mine was going to last since I drive it easy, I was wrong. If you keep running it and hear ANY noises , replace the splined discs before they ruin the gears and get wedged against the case and cause it to break and your axles come out (worst case scenario not trying to scare you). I run a 12 bolt with a lockright now, cheap solution for me, others run 8 lug stuff for ultimate strength /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

grenade locker...err...I mean Gov-lock. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rene

15. big jimmy 91

Thanks for all the help.
    I poped the cover off the rear and went " WHAT THE HELL IS THAT" .It was the strangest looking thing with all these little moving parts and tiny watch springs etc. lol
    sorry about the fuzzy pics. the dig. cam. is a cheap one and I still don't know how to use it /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    Well now I know what it is and will have to replace both diffs. in the future /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    This is the best source of info. that a guy could have
    P.S. I will become a member as soon as cash is avaliable /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The pics are kinda fuzzy, but that appears to be a Gov-lok. That is the infamous traction adding device used after GM quit using the "posi" or limited slip. There are quite a few people here on CK5 that have d the factory Gov-lok. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Look for option code G80 on the glove box label. If you find it, then it is no doubt a Gov-lok. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that is a Gov-lock, I had one in my '80 & it had springs & washers like a Auburn Suregrip, or something on that order.

17. big jimmy 91

There is the option code G80 in the glove box.
    It's all back together now so no more pics. lol
    destruction is the fastest way to replacement /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    if anyone can id. it for sure that would be much appreciated

18. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

G80 was the factory posi if I remember right. I am looking for one for a friend. I owe him a favor.

19. rnss82

rnss82 Registered Member

im not sure but that looks just the same as our gov-lock duramaxes that are mil spec trucks and we use 90wt with no problems
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

20. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    if anyone can id. it for sure

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a Gov-lock and I am 100% sure. When they blow up it's usually spectacular...hence the 'grenade locker' comment.

Rene