Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can anyone trouble shoot possible fuel delivery problem?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AntAZBlaz, Jun 19, 2003.

1. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a problem I’ve been having? I thought that the truck needed a tune up because it has been having a lack of power when I stepped on the gas. I was thinking and others thought as well that I should try replacing the fuel filter. Well yesterday I came to a stop at a light and the truck died on me, I was able to get it started again but it was very difficult. So I replaced the fuel filter. I started the car up and now when I press on the gas lightly the car moves fine but when I floored it there was no power. Now on the way back from work I ran into the surging problem again. I have no idea of how to trouble shoot this so any help would be appreciated.
    I have an 86 carbureted 350 stock set up. I replaced the fuel pump about two years ago so I don’t think that is the problem. But I guess you can never be sure. There was definitely a difference though between the fuel pump going bad and this because when the fuel pump went bad the truck just died out all together no matter how fast I was going and it was very intermittent. This seems to be more specifically happening under certain situations consistently.

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Remove and rebuild the Carburetor, new needle and seat, and follow the Direction's to the T. It sound's like it's running very lean, [lack of fuel] and after year's of use, the Carb. need's some attention. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

When you say that it’s running lean does that mean from the idle adjustment? Because right now I know that it is running rich because I diesels when I turn off the truck. Do you get a carb rebuild kit from Autozone or something? I forgot to mention that I had some one rebuild the carb about 6 months ago to get the car to pass emissions.

4. BEHJR

BEHJR 1/2 ton status

All of that could be a timing problem as well.

5. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

do they have tools to check timing at autozone? i'm not sure how to check timing but i have books right here in front of me. tell me if i'm wrong but i thought that there was no mechnical adjustment for timing on my truck?
    king