Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can anyone with an '89 TBI take a look?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BadDog, Dec 17, 2001.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Can anyone with an \'89 TBI take a look?

Could any of you with an '89 TBI take a look at the bulkhead connector and give me info on the wire colors coming out of the rear chassis harness connector? I need to rewire my '85 connector to match the '89 bulkhead connector that I am using.

So, the one I am interested in is the smallest of the 3 harness connectors (they all fit in a frame to make a single plug) and it is next to the fender. All I need is the wire colors (primary and stripe) from top to bottom. If I've got the colors, I can probably work out what is what based on my schematics. I just don't want to have to pull the fuse block off the inside to see the wire colors going in from that side.

Here is a picture of the bulkhead connector. The yellow arrow points to the rear chassis sub connector and it should have 7 wires. The red arrow points to the center sub connector which is the front chassis (lights, horn, etc.) and it would be nice to have that info too just to make sure it is right.

<a target="_blank" href=http://members.home.net/russhuffman/Bulkhead.jpg>Connector</a>

Man, wish I had thought to cut those connectors off the Sub donor...

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

2. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Re: Can anyone with an \'89 TBI take a look?

I've got TBI on my '91, will that work for ya?

Mud...

3. BadDog

Hmm, it might help. I have a schematic for a 90 C/K series that I have been using. Only problem is the wire colors don't quite match the '89 Suburban harness. 98% the same but a few exceptions have shown up.

Actually, your '91 might match my schematic exactly. So, yeah, I would appreciate it if you get a chance... I just need to figure out circuit is on what pin. I can work out the wire colors on my chassis harness as long as I know what position to put them in.

Thanks

Russ

4. nofeartruckin00

Took a look at mine real quick, and the wires arent all in a line like your pic shows. There is a block (driver's side) that goes through the firewall, but they are side by side, looks like 2, 2, 2 in a rectangle. Is this what you need colors for?

Mud...

5. BadDog

hmm, not sure. The main engine compartment harness is on the passenger side of the connector block and has a sort of slider rail frame that the other 2 (front/rear) sub-harnesses slide into. It looks almost like one big square plug when it is all assembled together. If you look close, you should see the 3 distinct plugs. The wires may appear to be more interwoven but, unless things changed in '91 (I don't think so) it should be the same as mine. I'm using the '89 bulkhead connector which still supports the 3 plug anyway.

My main interest is in a listing of wire colors (including stripes) that should basically be in a row down the side next to the fender (yellow arrow in my picture). If it is not like that, then maybe they changed.

Russ

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

yea I have 2 89's, and the fuse block doesn't look anything like that.

have you considered just buying a wiring harness?

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

7. BadDog

BTW, they are more distinct in my picture because the bolt is not in there and I separated the plugs just a bit so that they would be clearly visible for the pic.

Russ

8. BadDog

Really? Wow. The connector block in that picture, the part mounted to the inside of the firewall (with the fuse block attached) came out of the '89 Sub donor when I got the engine. The engine compartment harness part of the connector (basically, the main part on the left side in the picture) came from the '89 Sub with the engine. And the '85 K30 front/rear sub harnesses just slid into the "C" rails and plugged right into the bulkhead connector (coming through the fire wall from inside).

Oh me, why can't anything be easy. [​IMG]

As far as buying a harness, I can make one easily enough (or rather modify mine) if I can just find a pin out for that blasted bulkhead connector. I've done this sort of thing before and you can make it look just like a factory job. Those wires actually just snap into the plugs and you can take them apart and rearrange them using a paper clip. Buying a harness wouldn't help if I can't figure out how it pins, unless I bought a full bumper to bumper set of harnesses...

Russ

9. nofeartruckin00

I took a look again, and it looks nothing like you are describing. They might have changed in '91. My chilton has one wiring schematic for 88-90, and a whole seperate schematic for '91. Sorry i couldn't help man, must be the wrong stuff. Hope you figure it out.

Mud...

10. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

the schematics alway have slight errors in wire colour
    do you have an instant messenger I can send you huge images of the schematics of any vehicle up to 98
    email me
    mjmillar@home.com

11. BadDog

Sent you an email. Thanks!

Russ

12. BadDog

Oh well, just my luck. Thanks anyway, I appreciate you guys taking a look...

Russ

13. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I'd get ya a map, but that k5 is completely torn apart. I'd have to put it back together to get it for ya! [​IMG]

I'm not in a possition right now to get it for you, but if you can't find it anywhere else I'll map it for you (you'll just have to wait for it a bit)

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

14. BadDog

No problem, looks like 77chev is coming through for me. Good luck on your project.

Russ

15. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

(From the same '88 wiring diagram book as my other post).

From the top,

1 - vertical spade - Brown, ckt 9, tail lamps (also license plate lamp).
    2 - horizontal spade - Dk Green, ckt 19, Right turn/stop
    3 - horizontal spade - Tan/White, ckt 120, fuel pump.
    4 - horizontal spade - (blank/no wire)
    5 - horizontal spade - Pink, ckt 30, fuel tank sender (gas gauge).
    6 - horozontal spade - Yellow, ckt 18, Left turn/stop.
    7 - vertical spade - Lt Green, ckt 24, backup lamps.

Sorry I didn't get this to you sooner, I guess I thought you'd figured it out already. Anything else, feel free to ask.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

16. BadDog

Yeah, I worked out the details on the tan/white. I just needed to know the rest of the pin out since obviously things moved around. I'm too lazy to pull the fuse block out if I can help it.

Hmm, when I did a continuity test across the tan/white going in (engine conn) to see where it came out (rear conn) and it indicated the third from the bottom IIRC (I'm probably just confused). I'll check again. In any case, this will help allot along with the extra schematics I just got from 77chev.

Tomorrow, this thing comes together if I have to completely remove the fuse block and trace every fricking wire by hand by match light! [​IMG]

Russ