Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can-Back for a 72' K5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RainBlazer, Aug 12, 2005.

1. RainBlazer

RainBlazer Registered Member

I recently purchased a 72' K5 with a cab only hardtop. The top is removable, but the back end is open. I'm looking to close in the back end with a Can-Back fabric shell, but their web-site is down. I dropped them an email, but no reply. Has anyone ever seen this done, or does anyone have any solutions for closing in a cab only K5 shell? Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin

2. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

As for Can Back creating a top for a First gen K5...they have no plans to do so.
    From what you are saying it sounds like you have a modified hardtop that has been cut to perform more like a hard bikini top? Yes? No?

If so and you with to add a soft top to the back of it you more than likly will have to have one custom made from a awning/boat cover shop that can do custom work like that.
    If you were to buy a soft top for a 76+ Blazer you may beable to get it to work but that will be an expensive gamble/hack.....

4. RainBlazer

No, the hardtop never fully enclosed the rear of the vehicle. The single fiberglass hardtop actually forms down behind the front seats (just like a truck cab), but the rear is completely open. The original owner a added a piece of sheet aluminum with a window, but it flops around a lot. There are snaps on the inside of the cab, which makes me believe that there was some vinyl there before. I would definately get some measurements before buying a 86 canback. Thanks for the feedback though.

Kevin

5. RainBlazer

Now that gets my brain going! A new project, enough to make the wife cry.

6. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

updates are to be coming soon.....as soon as I get my lazy a$$ back to welding

gabe :D

7. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

How about getting a piece of tinted plexyglass that reaches all the snaps? Is that an option, since I have not actually seen the top?

I saw a 74 K5 in petersons, back in ... hmmmm.. maybe the Oct 84 issue (I know, I'm old) that had a cab like your talking about. I just wish I could remember the name of company. Anyway, his was ll fiberglass, and had a back window built it. Below the top level, where it would mount to the bed rails, he had a sheetmetal wall built, so that the entire cab was seperate from the rear seat area. In the rear seat area, he had removed the rear seat, and all trim so that it was just metal.

I want to say the nam of the company was sun tops, or something like that... although it's probably of no help anymore.

Just giving something else to think about ... :rolleyes: :doah:

8. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

My 72 Jimmy has the half cab with the metal divider that goes between the bottom of the top and the bed floor. The metal part also has tool trays on the interior of the truck. I bought mine from "Glasstite", but I don't think they make them anymore.

DCP_2838.jpg

DCP_2851.jpg

9. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Yep. that's how that 74 was set up.