Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can-back pricing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, May 28, 2001.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

OK guys, I can get Can-Back Pachyderm Model soft tops for 76-91 K5's (what I run on my 90) at 995.00 out the door including the optional windows. Not a bad price for what you are getting, I belive the Kaylines (now out of business) were around 600. and did not have the option to run a roof rack and were made out of vinal instead of long lasting canvas.
    Check out the new can-back product page at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://coloradok5.com/canback.html>http://coloradok5.com/canback.html</A>
    You can also get to it from the main page, I also added a photo gallery of Can-back pics.
    There is also an order page there.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

2. flcpl4fn

flcpl4fn 1/2 ton status

Great, I will get one as soon as i can save up the money. hopefully that will be by the middle of the summer.

'85 Jimmy in Jax, Fl

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Steve,
    Good job on supplying these tops and helping somewhat with the price. I really want to run one, but in addition to justifying the big cost hurdle, I have two questions about the Can-Backs:

1) Why under God's green earth should we drill holes in the bed rails? If they haven't changed this design flaw yet, tell them to get on the ball. We drive Blazers, not pickup trucks. Just have the pickup trucks drill holes to match us!

2) Security. How can you really park around town with a vehicle that has simple un-snap entry? These trucks are fairly easy to steal anyway, but now the jerk wouldn't even need a slim jim, and most alarms wouldn't be effective. I just don't see how you could have stereo equipment or tools inside when someone can get in in seconds and get away without leaving any damage. Does anyone make an alarm with a motion detector that pages you?

Anyway, I think that you are going to be a good distributor for them, since a soft-top is cooler on a K-5 then on anything else. You have about at least 2000 potential customers, so keep on them about the hole locations and the price and more and more of us will scoop them up.

<font color=green>Why does everyone worry about my gas mileage, but not think twice about an Excursion owner?</font color=green>

4. CK5

I asked them about the 4 holes (2 on each side) in the bedrail and they said it would cost to much to redesign it to fit (I know), really no big deal though, the holes are covered up with the hardtop, it could be worse, the Kayline required that you drill something like 16 holes in the cab alone where the Can-back uses all the factory cab holes.
    As far as security, any soft top is just a small knife away from being opened. :-) I run a Tuffy security console to help with an alarm with motion sensor.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

My order of buisness:
    1. Lift
    2. Tires
    3. <font color=blue> CAN-BACK</font color=blue>

<font color=orange>hAS ANYONE SEEN MY cAPSLOCK KEY?</font color=orange>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

So what is the reason that you can't drill the holes in the track in some of the same locations as the factory hard-top holes?

Yes, I know that older soft-tops needed a million rusting snap holes to be drilled everywhere and yes, I know that this is currently the best design out, but that doesn't mean that it's right yet. I mean, there used to be nothing but breaker-point ignitions, but that doesn't mean that every electronic ignition system ever made is simply great. [​IMG]

And yes, the security issue is obviously something that Jeepers have dealt with for decades.

<font color=green>Why does everyone worry about my gas mileage, but not think twice about an Excursion owner?</font color=green>

7. CK5

You could easily redrill the two holes closest to the cab, but the rail gets narrower towards the back and misses the two rear holes. If they really wanted to they could redesign the rail for just the K5 and hit the 4 holes, but why? If you look at it from their prospective, why retool just to hit four holes that will be covered either by the soft top or the hard top, it's not like these are brand new 50,000. trucks, but then again this is coming from some one who cut his fenders and rear quarter panels off. [​IMG]
    I however would like to see the snaps replaced with some kind of rail system though to bring it more up to date.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

8. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey Steve I have three questions:
    1. Would you have purchased this top if you didn't have a garage to keep your blazer in?
    2. Would you leave this top on year round if you didn't have a garage?
    3. What kind of price can you get for the Can-Back version with windows for an 88 Blazer
    Thanks Layne

I may be slow, but I sure am fat!

9. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Mabye its just because I dont care about the body on my truck, but I still dont see what the big deal with drilling is. Lay down some masking tape to keep the bit from walking, measure twice, drill once, add a drop of RTV to seal the hole and your done. This is how I made the holes for my old style kayline top a year ago and it still hasnt rusted yet. If you're afraid you might mess it up, have someone else whos good with a drill do it. I ended up moving my side rails foward a few weeks after I put my soft top on last year (more holes) and when I took my hardtop off last month to put the soft top on they hadnt rusted. I agree with Steve, it doesnt make sence for them to re-tool they're operations so you dont have to drill 4 holes that are covered all the time anyway. I think its cool that Steve is getting everyone a much better price (yeah, its not as cheap as a Kayline or a Bestop but look what your getting) and I cant wait to see they're 1st gen top when they're done. OK I'm done now.</font color=blue>

[image]http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_uploads/53-288682-mudpit3.jpg[/image]

10. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Good deal - Now my only hurdles to a ragtop are new rims and knocking over a 7-11(For any law enforcement types that was purely a joke)[​IMG]!

I'm not creative enough to comeup with a new signature [​IMG]

11. CK5

1. If I wanted a top to run year round with no garage this would be the one, however if you live in a rough area (theft) any soft top means easy access, just something to think about.
    2. I think you would be fine to run the canvas year round (it has a five year warrenty also), I run mine year round here in Colorado (so far only one winter) and it's fine, not sure about Alaska though. [​IMG]
    3. 1,169.00 for the Can-Back model.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

12. CK5

Believe me, I wish these things were 300. bucks with windows, they are expensive no dought, but they are nice.
    Anyone else have a can-back that can comment? I know not a lot of them were made for K5's, but someone with a truck might have one.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

13. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

I got one !! All I can say is they are very well designed. I went with the Pacific blue w/tinted windows. Installation was easy. The packaging was very impressive. They put alot of thought and time into these tops. You are definetly getting what you paid for and that is QUALITY!!!!! I know they are not cheap but if you are in the market for a top this is the only way to go! Maybe you guys can talk Steve into financing of some sort?? haha.(parts)haha.

14. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I'd get one if they made one for full convertables.They are very nice.And the material looks and feels alot tuffer then vinyl.

15. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

think about security, w/ soft top, id rather em unsnap it then slice it, but then again w/ ahrd top, they can jsut take out the gasket to the rear window and take it out easily, if not jsut smash it.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/>http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/</A>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>

16. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Steve,

I don't see how it attaches to the cab and doesn't leak. Its just snaps right? So how is it that rain/water/snow doesn't get inbetween the snaps? Sorry if I sound dumb here but I"m just not getting it.

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

17. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I like it! But thats gonna cut into my 14bolt/D60/38" tire upgrade fund. Damn this hobby ain't cheap!! Guess I'll have to break the piggybank... AGAIN! -Tommy

18. CK5

There is a metal band that bolts to the cab (where the hard top bolts to) with a seal between them, then the top snaps to that BUT sits lower than the steel top and is stretched tight.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE