Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can Back Soft Tops

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 86blazerk5, Jan 28, 2001.

1. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Are can back soft tops simply not available anymore for Blazers. I think i herad that being said. I ask becuase as soon as I get that tax return it is time to purchase a soft top. I have always liked the Skylers the best, the Can Backs, second, and the Kaylines thrid. However, the more i see of Steves K5, the more I like the Can Back. Of course if the Can back is no longer available, then that makes the decision an easy one for me. Thanks,
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The canbacks have been discontinued because no one was buying them. I admit they look nice but for the price it better look nice [​IMG] I think Kayline are the best out there, but I dont have one so I cant tell you much about them except that they dont cost 1000 beans like the canbacks. I'm sure a fellow CK5er can expand on the Kayline features.

Murphy's Law :
    "Never step in anything soft."

3. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

I got Shawn's old skyler, it does me great. The purpose of a soft top to me is to provide cover when the hard top is off, meaning dont use it unless it rains!!! I love mine without any top and when a cloud comes , up in less than 2 mins, the skyler is on and im inside relaxing or out playing. its real simple and sturdy imo.

Ben
    www.BenjaminBone.coloradoK5.com

4. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

Does the Skyler use the velcro? I am looking for a softtop that requires no drilling, and I saw the velcro attachment and was curious about the security of it. The window does not come off does it? I like the new tonneau(sp?) with the fast track design, it is a 2 piece, but do not like the required drilling.

5. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

Can-Backs are discontinued! As a matter of fact I GOT THE LAST ONE!! Now I just need to find the time to put it on. I had a Skyler and I thought it was great. A friend of mine has a Kayline less than a year old and it belongs in the TRASH! Zippers broke,snaps gone etc. I don't know about the Fasttrack I think Shawns got one w/no complaints??? Good Luck on the search.

6. 86blazerk5

Well that answers that. Personally, I hate th Kaylines, I dont like the way they look, and i dont like the way it requires a lot of drilling into the body... Since the can Backs, have been cancled, it is an easy choice for me. Skyler. Now i am just waiting on that tax return...
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

With the Kaylines, You dont nessecarily have to dril into the body. They give you an undrilled channel and you can use the factory mounting holes to mount the channel.
    At least this is the way it looked like it could be done. I had the hardware for one, but no fabric and that is how I was going ot mount my Kayline until I sold it to Trustyk5 and he seems to really like it!

Drop him a line...

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

8. 86blazerk5

I am really just not fond of the way the KayLines look, I prefer the clean lines of the Can Back and the Skyler. I actually really like the Skyler except it limits the use of the back seat, and you can never add roll bars with it. That is why I was considering the Can Back, but I didnt likethe way you have to drill into the tailgate of both the can back and the Kayline, however, with Can Back out of the question, I prefer the looks and price of the Skyler.
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

9. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Kayline has the Fast trac design that almost eliminated any drilling. Most of the drilling was on the tailgate and with the fast trac there is no drilling. I am not sure if the top rails use the same holes for the hard top though. But, I am not scared to do a little drilling to get rid of the heavy @ss hard top!

They also advertised that in March they will be coming out with a Fast trac design for 73-75 Blazers. They already have the fast trac design for the other model years. You may not like the Kaylines but a bunch of us are placing a group order for the 73-75 fast trac. You may want to check their website out, the new design is a big improvement over the old design.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.kaylinetops.com>http://www.kaylinetops.com</A>

74 Blazer
    Ramble On