Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can Back top for our trucks is a NO GO

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BobK, Nov 7, 2001.

1. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I went to Can Back today to see thier "so called" 1st gen. soft top.1st I get there to discover the guy I have been e-mailing for the last 6 months no longer is with the company!2nd they have NO top developed for our Blazers.

They have done 3 soft tops for individuals with 1st gen. Blazers but they were "one offs" and those guys paid almost 3 grand for them.Each one was different too.

They stated that they have been WAY too busy to even try and develope a producable top for the 1st gen.'s.I did see one they are working on for a guy.From the back of the front seats on back is basically what they have for the 2nd gen 1/2 top Blazers.

They had made a one piece frame that goes over the front seats.The problem is that it was not a convertable design.It was either on the truck or off the truck.If you wanted to go topless you"d phyically have to take the frame off the truck.They were utilizing the factory bolt locations though(on the windshield only).

Another big thing was the size.It was all one piece and shipping would not be cost effective,they'd have to send it truck frieght!Oh yea...I asked but they wouldn't let me take a picture of the one I saw.

They said maybe in a year they "might " have something for us 1st gen's,I'm not holding my breath though!

What kinda ticks me off is how they kept stringing me along "check back with us is a couple weeks","e-mail me again in Sept./Oct.","should have somthing pretty soon".I don't like being toyed with!

So anyway I appologize to all who expressed intrest and especially to those who held off purchases of the other tops that are ACTUALLY available.

Looks like I'll be seeing if I can design my own frame and get a boat yard to help with the canvas top.
    Sorry for the crappy news.

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  2. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

hey bob, as far as i'm concerned, i appreciate the work u did for us.i mean, its too bad about the tops, but thanx anyways for tryin.

live to wheel, wheel to live--1972 gmc jimmy 8 inch lift, 37" ssr's, big n bad

3. Marc72

Marc72 Registered Member

BobK - thanks for all your effort. I agree with you, they should have been much more professional - especially with the members of a site that promotes their product as much as ColoradoK5 does. Well, I guess I'll just order a Fastrac...

'72 GMC Jimmy

4. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

That sucks. They strung me along too...right to my face. Telling me it was weeks away at list last Offroad Expo in Pamona. Too bad they dont understand how to be honest with a potential market and chose to handle things this way.

Perhaps all is not lost however. Bob, you have a list of ppl who were interested in a new First Gen top. Maybe we should think about a group purchase on a custom design? An order of even 4-5 would hopefully drive the cost down considerably.

I personally dont mind the idea of a permanant frame as long as the sides can be rolled up and the frame doesnt look like ass from the sides. So I'd consider going in on a Can-Back deal for maybe up to $2400.

But I'd also consider alternatives like boat shops and other fabricators?

Since Bob has done so much of they leg work so far, perhaps he'd continue to spearhead the effort and maybe get a "discount" for his contribution via the other ppl in the group buy?

Anybody else interested in trying to find someone to fab up a nice frame design for us and have a boat shop do the cover?

Matthew Meyer
    matthewm@inhollywood.com
    '71 Ochre K5 - 4" Lift 35"s
    ZZ4 350 - 700R

5. Quetzal_SJ

Quetzal_SJ 1/2 ton status

Just a thought but couldn't all the folks that wanted a canback get together and make a special order for the fastrak top. Maybe they can make a special order and use a better material for the top and use a stonger metal for the frame. Or just make a group purchas of the origanal and get a better deal then the current price. Just a thought

Thanks Lico

6. hirider34

hirider34 Registered Member

I too would be interested in seeing if a group rate and/or custom order was available for the fasttrac. Perhaps we can follow this channel since the Can-back has fallen through. Just a thought.

Why buy it if you can build it better?
    All Give Some. Some gave all. God bless the fallen Brothers in the FDNY.

7. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

What about the tops offered by Kayline and Bestop?? I am going to buy a top in the next couple of weeks and have been looking at the Fastrac Top by Kayline. I know that they have been bought out, but the new website offers a Fastrac for our first gen vehicles.
    What do you think about them?? They are only around $500

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

DAMN! Oh well Thanks for being our advocate!!
    I like the idea of a canvas top so I too may take my Kayline top to a boat shop and see if they can make a canvas style kyline???
    Later

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4</a>

9. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That sucks - what makes me even more mad is that I emailed them last week because I was all excited about it - this was their response:

"...Thanks for the inquiry in our first generation Blazer top we actually
    planned on having a top out this fall. It was just pushed back a little because
    we had a busy summer. We're in the process of picking it back up here real
    soon.

Thanks
    Charley..."

That is just so frustrating that they would string us along like that - especially when they know they have a market like this - we should take this to Steve and complain about their misrepresentation....

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I've got to agree with a few of the comments here......DON'T JUST DROP THE ISSUE! [​IMG]

You've got a list of "qualified" customers....you have a general "price range" that people are willing to pay.

I think the idea of getting Kayline to build a "Premium" kit for the group would be a great suggestion, and it might inspire them to then offer it to the general public once they've done all the R&amp;D for you guys.

OR you find a boat shop...(business must be slower for them this time of year) and you have them build as many as you guys need.

Either way, it seems like an opportunity to design and build the top you've always wanted, and get a better price on it than a "one-off $3000 custom" job. [​IMG]

Just my $.02 I finally located a single-wall hardtop which is what I really wanted for my K5!

-Greg72

11. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

Bob,

Thank you for all the work you have put in on this over the past many months!!! I am a little choked at how they bulls#%tted you for so long. Maybe now, I'll spend a little more on the engine and worry about a soft top in a couple of more years.

Thanks again Bob, you did a great job!

Rod

<a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.ca/72BlazerodsOldChevyTruckPage/photoalbums.msnw>http://communities.msn.ca/72BlazerodsOldChevyTruckPage/photoalbums.msnw</a>

12. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

Greg72...glad to see you found the single wall top you we're after. I know I had promised you mine when I thought the Can-Back deal would go down. Sorry that didnt work out in time.

For the rest of you that are considering the other off-the-shelf tops:

I've run a BestTop for about 5 years and really dont like them. The vinyl is thin and prone to tears on the trail and the flmsy-ass spreaders and aluminum rails shake and rattle pretty badly at freeway speeds. I've had to add addtional snaps in place of the pathetic velcro on the window/door surrounds and shore up between the spreaders with pvc to stop the thing from going concave on the highway.

I'm done with BestTop and dont think the Kayline is much better from what I've seen.

That's my $.02. I'm hoping enough of us will decide to try to put together a group deal.

Matthew Meyer
    matthewm@inhollywood.com
    '71 Ochre K5 - 4" Lift 35"s
    ZZ4 350 - 700R

13. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Bob, that plain sux. It sounds to me like Can-Back is following technology industry practices and pre-announcing product when they haven't got squat, just to put FUD into their customers about the competition. That is a ratty way to do business, IMHO.

Well, at least I can live with my hard top for a while. I guess I'll have to anyhow, since I need to find a job...

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Matt,

Yeah....CK5s own "tmanofcali" helped me out with the top.....he lives fairly close by, and the top was just taking up space...so we did the deal! Then "quetzalsj" took my original double-wall top for his '71 Jimmy. It feels good to know that the people on this list are able to help each other out.

By the way, going "single-wall is not without it's problems.....did you know that it will cost close to $500 to replace all the rubber and gaskets (top and doors) once I get ready to do it? Yikes! [​IMG]

-Greg72

15. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, Bob is right about the info, I just called Can-back yesterday to talk to Charlie about some issues only to find out he doesn't even work there anymore, I no longer sell the Can-back tops and have removed all the order info, they may advertise with us at some point dunno. I did talk to the new VP about the first gen tops and got the feeling that they prolly will not produce it at all.
    I will contact STC and see if we can get some kind of group discount or have them join the membership program.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers