Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can carrier be removed without removing pinion shaft?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zach78k5, Mar 2, 2004.

1. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

Is there any way to remove the carrier without taking the pinion shaft out? can the c clips on the axles be removed any other way. I cant get the shaft out at all.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Nope. That pinion shaft is the only thing that keeps the axles from moving inwards and letting the C-clips fall off. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Did the little bolt that holds the pinion shaft in the diff break off? If so, it IS possible to drill the bolt out, but it certainly isn't fun.

3. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

It broke off but i was able to drill a couple of holes in the carrier and make sure all the pieces came out. the shaft will turn with the spider gear when one wheel is on the ground. it just wont come out.

4. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Can you push or pull the axles at all or are they tight against the cross shaft?

5. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

there is a tiny bit of movement but not much.

6. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

use a hammer and pound the pin in about 1/2 inch, then spin the carrier till the exposed pin comes up then just grap it with some pliars and yank like hell.

7. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

Problem. I cant get the pin to budge, I have been pounding on this thing since 10 this morning and it has not moved more than a couple of mm. I called NW differentials and am taking the rear end there in the morning. Hopefull they can fix it.

8. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

I bet you could remove the c clips with a dremal.

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

If the spider gears were loose, They may have hammered into the pin. Then it won't slide out. I had one that was SO bad, I used the torch and cut the carrier in half!!