Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CAN DETENT/KICKDOWN CABLE CAUSE THRUST WASHER FAILURE?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brians 60s, Sep 5, 2001.

1. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

i tore the thrust washer on the crank a new sphincter in my 400 sbc. I sent the torque convertor back and had the 700 checked out and everything was fine. this damage happened after only 1k miles and I obviously don't want it to happen again. I could find nothing else wrong with the the motor, but the detent cable had to be modified because I had a bent linkage on my rottenchester quadrajunk. Just wondering if this is possible or what else it could be. thanks for responding. Brian

IT'S A 1 TON THING.... IF I HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND!!!

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I doubt it had anything to do with the crankshaft, but your 700R4 doesn't have a detent or kickdown cable. What you think is a kickdown cable is a TV cable, or throttle valve cable. It controls EVERYTHING, as there is no vacuum modulator. Adjusting that is VERY important to your transmission's shifting and the life of the transmission.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

do you have the right plate the 400s had a different plate and a stock 700r wont work.

88k5 silverado w4"lift <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

4. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Sounds to me like your torque convertor wasn't completely seated. This is a quick way to destroy the thrust bearing in a motor. That is about the only way that I have ever seen a small block chevy eat the thrust bearing, that is something that rarely ever happens. Although I have seen a guy destroy one by using a BIG sledge hammer to coax his harmonic balancer on over a bent crank shaft key! Hope this helped!

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!