Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can freon leak...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerWheels, Nov 30, 2003.

1. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

slowly??? When the fan/anything blowing into cab I get a smokelike looking coming through the vent. It doesn't have any smell (it did give me a headache though)...When the truck is just running and no fan is on, the same smokelike stuff is coming out of the fan box under the hood. I am guessing it is freon, could it be something else????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

If it was freon the system would be empty in a few seconds with a leak that big. It could be a electrical problem like a burnt wire at the blower motor.

3. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

It can be freon. I have seen an evaporator leak for a week like this. It's fairly common.

4. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Agree on the evaporator leak Ive seen one leak for 2+ weeks Good luck

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

A good a/c shop, or repairman if you know one, could inject dye into your system to look for leaks. It is for use with a blacklight to spot freon leaks . It is generally inexpensive just to have them look. Then you could decide what to do . By all means this forums members are important so please find out what it is for your health, you said you got a headache from it.

6. BlazerWheels

I figured it was from the evaporator...I will have someone check it out today. Had the windows down this morning and DAMN was it COLD!!!!!! And still got a headache!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

7. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It could be that resister for the fan speeds,Freon is oderless and would give you a lightheaded feeling..........

8. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Resistor+ lint dust other assorted air polution will smoke and stink real bad.

9. BlazerWheels

Mechanic looked at it today and told me it was the heater core...asked if the windows fogged up, asked if coolant level dropped...both yes. Found a VERY SMALL amount of coolant on passenger floor mat. Now I get to change that!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status