Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can I convert from auto to manual?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83DK5, Apr 13, 2000.

1. 83DK5

83DK5 Registered Member

I am currently running a th400 and it just went dead. in an 83 with the 6.2 deisel. My main concern is the length. Will I have to get a longer or shorter driveshafts? The th400 that is in it is not the original Tranny. It originally had a 700. I am planning on a sm 465 or nv4500. Any help in doing this conversion is most welcome.

Thanks

Blazers Rule especially Diesels

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I've never seen an auto to manual swap, but i have heard of a few so it's possible. You'll really want the NV4500. What kind of clutch are you using? Hydrolic would be easier to set up and won't move when the tub moves against the frame. If you go with a linkage style, you need the bracket on the driver's side framerail next to the motor, and all the clutch link components. You'll also need an adapter for the T-case whether you choose the NV4500 or the SM465. You will also need a flywheel. as for the driveshaft, you would need a longer front one because the manuals are shorter then the automatics. The rear shaft can be shortened. Where did you find an NV4500? They're hard to find used.</font color=blue>

3. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

i have an SM465 and 205 t-case that i need to get rid of. it came out of a '79 K5 and it worked perfect... i even think that i have the drive shafts

NEVER been stuck... *yet*

4. 83DK5

83DK5 Registered Member

Hmm anybody know if this will bolt up to the 6.2 deisel.?

Blazers Rule especially Diesels

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Advance Adapters has adapters to put together almost any engine-tranny combo.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

6. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

i think that the bell housings are the same. hmmmmmm....

NEVER been stuck... *yet*